50 houses razed by fire

Sun.Star Davao - - FRONT PAGE -

SOME 50 houses were razed by fire yes­ter­day at the Mus­lim Village, Purok 26, Barangay 76-A in Bu­cana, Davao City.

Ac­cord­ing to the res­i­dents, the fire started around 2 p.m. from the house of a cer­tain Jazzy.

Based on the in­ter­view with the res­i­dents and the Bureau of Fire Pro­tec­tion, the fire was due to a faulty elec­tri­cal wiring.

Dur­ing the fire, res­i­dents in the area claimed that a seven-year-old was trapped inside a house. Fire in­spec­tor James Jimenez, how­ever, clar­i­fied that this claim was not true based on their search.

Res­i­dents in the area were crying, among them was Lode­lyn Canda who was search­ing for her miss­ing daugh­ter.

It was later found out that her nine-year-old daugh­ter Al­faizah was out play­ing com­puter at SM City Davao. The mother and child had a tear­ful re­union.

"I am re­lieved, even if we do not have any place to live," she said in ver­nac­u­lar after she was re­united with her daugh­ter.

Canda said she learned about the fire when her hus­band, a driver, called and told her that there's fire in the area. She hur­ried home from the condo where she was work­ing.

Canda, dur­ing the in­ter­view, said they do not have plans where to tem­po­rar­ily stay and that she will wait for her hus­band to re­turn from work.

Muhamidin Ami­nola, a driver who suf­fered mi­nor burns, said it took the fire around 15 min­utes to reach their house which is just two houses away from where the fire started.

"It was around 2:03 p.m. when it hap­pened. I was able to save some of our clothes, and I think it is from elec­tri­cal cir­cuit. My fam­ily is safe now," he said in ver­nac­u­lar.

He said his burn was due to fall­ing de­bris.

Mean­while, Nur-in Muhamad who is plan­ning to go to Dubai, wailed in front of the de­bris since all the doc­u­ments needed for her over­seas work were all burned.

"Wala na­jud mi mga gamit, tanan-tanan jud walay nabilin, walay nabilin sa among balay kay nag­tra­baho tanan (All of our things were lost, all of it, noth­ing is left, no one was at home be­cause we were at work)," she added.

It was past 3 p.m. that fire out was de­clared and the BFP con­ducted clear­ing in the area.

Fire vic­tims have been as­sisted by barangay of­fi­cials to seek tem­po­rary shel­ter at the mosque near the area.

As of 4 p.m. yes­ter­day, the barangay of­fi­cials are still con­duct­ing in­ven­tory on how many fam­i­lies were af­fected. KVC

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.