PNP ready for drug war return: Bato
MANILA - Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Ronald Dela Rosa said Friday that he will not hesitate to ask President Rodrigo Duterte to allow them to return to the government's campaign against illegal drugs if the narcotics problem continues to escalate.
"Pakiramdam ko when things get worse and talagang hindi kakayanin so kailangan sabihin ko
sa kanya siguro sir pabalikin mo na kami, kawawa naman 'yung pamilya natin,"
[I feel like when things get worse and they seem not to manage it anymore I will ask the President to let us go back in the war on drugs, let us spare our families.]
"Ako na ang aapela siguro if the time comes," he added.
[I will personally appeal to the President if the time comes.]
On Tuesday, Duterte issued a memorandum designating the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) as the sole agency in charge of the government's campaign against the narcotics trade.
The President issued the order amid the latest 18-point drop in his satisfaction rating.
Dela Rosa said he spoke with Duterte about the matter and he told them to "stop" cooperating in the war on drugs due to the negative perception of the public on the police.
He said Duterte, however, did not give them a timeline on how long they would not participate in the war on drugs which had been the focus of the 185,000-strong PNP in the past 15 months.
Asked to assess the PNP in implementing the war on drugs, Dela Rosa said it was challenging but he believed they were successful considering that the supply of illegal drugs on the street had significantly decreased.
"Sa totoo lang kasi ang basehan natin sa success or failure ng war on drugs is babalik tayo sa supply and demand kung bumaba or tumaas ‘yung demand. Actually pawala ng ‘yung drugs. Na-dismantle na natin ‘yung mga drug laboratories, floating shabu laboratories sa dagat na nahuli natin and hirap na sila magpasok ng mga precursors dito,” he said.