Tomas withdraws P12M cash aid for Ormoc, Surigao
The Cebu City government is taking back its pledge for cash assistance of P10 million for Ormoc City and P2 million for Surigao City and the amount will instead be donated to the families of the fallen Marawi soldiers.
Mayor Tomas Osmeña, in a press conference, announced that the withdrawal was because the two local government units failed to promptly respond with a resolution signifying their acceptance of the assistance.
“They're not doing anything. They're supposed to pass a resolution [but] they did not pass a resolution. I'm taking this as an insult . . . we're trying to be nice to them, we're trying to assist them,” Osmeña said.
He added that Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez was set to visit at his office but it was postponed.
Osmeña also told reporters that he sent several personnel to Ormoc to evaluate the situation of the disaster to be able to help the city identify the needs of their constituents, canvass for the materials needed and provide the city with a detailed package for their convenience.
Among those identified were generator sets and structures to shelter the generators to run water pumps.
Both Ormoc and Surigao were devastated after a 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit earlier this year which prompted the Cebu City local government to offer monetary assistance to be taken from the Cebu City disaster funds.
Among those damaged infrastructures were houses, schools, hospitals, roads, and bridges. Electricity on some affected areas was also down due to damaged wires and posts.
Upon learning about Cebu City's supposed aid for Ormoc, Lalaine Jimenea, a resident of Ormoc City, was excited adding that she was not surprised by Osmeña's decision because the Osmeñas have always helped their city even after the 1991 flashflood.
The Ormoc City government has yet to issue an official statement since Gomez is still out of the country attending a Federalism seminar since November 3.
According to Gomez's Executive Assistant Perry Deen, the resolution was forwarded to the Mayor's office last October 30, a day before the holidays, hence, the reason for the delay.
Ormoc City chairman of the committee on laws and ordinances Atty. Bennet Pongos refused to issue a statement.
He however assured that the resolution is ready and is only waiting for Gomez's signature.
Meanwhile, Surigao City officials have yet to issue a statement on this matter.
The P12 million cash assistance, according to Osmeña, will be donated to a fund raising activity aimed to support the families of the fallen soldiers of Marawi sometime in Januray 2018 once an amendment is made to the previously submitted resolution.
"I don't cancel it because I'm angry. [It's just that] somebody is fundraising for the fallen soldiers," Osmeña clarified.
Tan, USC Intern/MBG