79-year-old man dies in house fire

The Freeman - - NEWS -

A 79-year-old man was killed when a fire caused by an unat­tended gas lamp razed their house in Barangay Damolog, So­god Cebu Sun­day evening.

Po­lice Of­fi­cer 3 Ray­mund Ba­cordo of So­god Po­lice iden­ti­fied the fa­tal­ity as Leode­gario Mon­te­cillo, a farmer.

Leode­gario's wife, Ali­cia Mon­te­cillo, 77, was able to come out from their burn­ing house dur­ing the in­ci­dent de­spite be­ing visu­ally im­paired. The two lived by them­selves.

Ba­cordo said that the fire started at the kitchen of the vic­tim's house where the gas lamp was sit­u­ated.

Leode­gario's body was also found to­tally burned in the kitchen. How­ever, po­lice are still wait­ing on the au­topsy re­sult be­fore con­firm­ing cause of death as the wife claimed that she heard sev­eral burst of some­thing she can­not iden­tify prior to the in­ci­dent.

As per the state­ment given by the wife to the po­lice, there were two uniden­ti­fied men with whom her hus­band had been talk­ing to be­fore the in­ci­dent. She al­legedly heard her hus­band ask the two men, “Kinsa man mo dong?” and later she heard an­other burst of sound which she be­lieved to be from a gun.

“Pag­tuo sa asawa nga gi­pusil iyang bana usa pa gisunog ilang balay sa mga wa mail­hing tawo,” said Ba­cordo.

Ali­cia told po­lice that she was able to es­cape the fire by crawl­ing out from un­der the house af­ter she was told by her hus­band to do so.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.