Gar­gan­era wants up­date on re­hab plan for land­fill

The Freeman - - NEWS - — Jean Marvette A. De­me­cillo/FPL

Cebu City Coun­cilor Joel Gar­gan­era is ask­ing an up­date on the post-clo­sure re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion plan for Inayawan San­i­tary Land­fill, which was shut down al­most two years ago.

Gar­gan­era said he will file a res­o­lu­tion next week in­quir­ing from the Cebu City En­vi­ron­ment and Nat­u­ral Re­sources Of­fice and the De­part­ment of Pub­lic Ser­vices on the Post-Clo­sure Re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion.

“It is im­per­a­tive for us to im­me­di­ately re­ha­bil­i­tate the Inayawan dump­site and adopt sus­tain­able mea­sures to re­duce our garbage and pro­mote a health­ier en­vi­ron­ment for our con­stituents,” a por­tion of the pro­posed res­o­lu­tion read.

The Court of Ap­peals barred the city gov­ern­ment from op­er­at­ing the land­fill in De­cem­ber 2016 by is­su­ing a Writ of Ka­likasan. The or­der stemmed from the pe­ti­tion filed by Gar­gan­era.

Gar­gan­era said the Supreme Court al­ready up­held the de­ci­sion of the Court of Ap­peals on May 29, 2018. Up to the present, he said the City Coun­cil has not got­ten any up­dates on the re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion plan of the land­fill.

Last year, the city gov­ern­ment set aside P52.4 mil­lion for the land­fill's re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion. The re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion, re­me­di­a­tion and clo­sure plan for the land­fill in­clude the con­struc­tion of two perime­ter fences amount­ing to P35.2 mil­lion; con­struc­tion or re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion of the South Road Prop­er­ties (SRP) to the Inayawan land­fill cause­way (P3.4 mil­lion); work and fi­nan­cial plan for green­ing and veg­e­ta­tion of the land­fill (P780, 000); re­cov­ery of fa­cil­ity's ser­vice area (P10 mil­lion); and pro­cure­ment of a weigh­bridge scale which costs P3 mil­lion.

Gar­gan­era said he has been read­ing re­ports of the cur­rent ad­min­is­tra­tion's plans to im­ple­ment a Waste-to-en­ergy fa­cil­ity in a 4-hectare prop­erty near the land­fill. While he is amenable of hav­ing a WTE project, he said the project must be dealt with strict scru­tiny as there's a court de­ci­sion pre­vent­ing the city from us­ing the land­fill.

In July 2018, the city is­sued a no­tice to pro­ceed for Full Ad­van­tage Phils In­ter­na­tional Inc. (FAPII) to com­mence the con­sul­tancy project known as the “Clo­sure and Re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion Plan for Inayawan San­i­tary Land­fill” with a con­tract amount­ing to P2,474,550.

FAPII is ex­pected to work on data gath­er­ing for waste depth, vol­ume and ex­tent of area cov­ered, on­site waste char­ac­ter­is­tics, leachate gen­er­a­tion and qual­ity, ground­wa­ter and sur­face water qual­ity, so­cial as­pect and gas emis­sion.

Ini­tial Site Assess­ment Re­port of FAPII showed that the land­fill has a to­tal mu­nic­i­pal solid waste of 1.1 mil­lion cu­bic me­ters with 7.1 per­cent slope af­ter op­er­at­ing for 20 years be­fore it was fi­nally closed.

CENRO Chief Ma. Nida Cabr­era said FAPII will present its find­ings next week.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.