NGCP fails to secure own power pylons

The Mindanao Examiner Regional Newspaper - - First Page - (Mindanao Examiner)

COTABATO CITY – The privately-owned National Grid Corporation of the Philippines has failed anew to secure and protect its transmission lines in the restive Muslim autonomous region in Mindanao following another bombing last week in Lanao del Sur province.

NGCP said Tower 25 in the village of Linamon in Ramain town was bombed on May 3 and cut off electricity in many areas there.

The steel pylon is part of 138 kilovolt Agus 2Kibawe line. It was the second time that the tower had been attacked since December 24 last year.

“This is the 6th bombing of NGCP towers this year. Restoration of Tower 25 will commence as soon as the area is secured. The company stresses that the bombings only serve to increase the burden of the public, which must suffer through service interruptions when towers are bombed,” NGCP said in a statement.

It previously blamed the Sambitory family where the tower is erected for allegedly not cooperating with the NGCP and refusing them access to conduct repairs of damaged pylon. Many landowners claimed they were not being paid by the NGCP for the use of their land.

Just last month, two power pylons were also bombed in North Cotabato province. The twin bombings of Towers 95 and 96 of the Kibawe-Kabacan 138kilovolt line occurred in the villages of Kitulaan and Aroman in Carmen town.

No individual or group claimed responsibility for the latest attack, but different rebel groups operate in Lanao del Sur.

In March, Tower 63 was also bombed in the town of Aleosan also in North Cotabato province – two months after it had been toppled down by a blast in January.

Newspapers in Tagalog

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.