Davao imposes curfew, liquor ban
DAVAO CITY has enforced a 10-hour curfew and banned the selling and consumption of liquors and other intoxicating drinks as part of a stricter measure to contain the spread of the coronavirus following a spike in the number of cases of the deadly
respiratory disease. In the Executive Order No. 55 signed by presidential daughter and Mayor Sara Duterte on October 12, the curfew will start at 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. and shall run until December 31. The sale and consumption of liquors and other intoxicating drinks is also banned from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. every day.
Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte, the mayor’s younger brother, said the recent increase in coronavirus cases in Davao City “is proof that the virus is still very much present in our communities. As a result, our healthcare facilities are nearing maximum capacity.”
He also reminded citizens to strictly follow the health protocols to prevent further transmission of the virus. “I appeal to all of you to stay home and go out only for work, emergency, and or other essential activities. Furthermore, I am advising everyone to take extra precaution when visiting malls, grocery stores, and public markets,” he said.
“Gatherings are strongly discouraged at this time and for the upcoming All Souls’ Day, everyone is advised to visit their departed loved ones before October 29 and after November 4. The local government will continue to enforce the minimum health standards and we are imploring everybody to work together in ensuring the safety of every Dabawenyo,” Duterte added.
The Department of Health last week reported more than 700 active cases of coronavirus in Davao region with Davao City having over three dozen cases, 22 are from Davao del Sur; 21 are from Davao del Norte; two are from Davao Occidental, and one from Davao Oriental.