Tapes related to killing given to US, European nations: Erdogan
Khashoggi corpse went down the drains: report
The killers of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi poured his remains down the drain after dissolving him in acid, a Turkish newspaper reported yesterday.
Samples taken from the drains at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul showed traces of acid, pro-government daily Sabah said, without quoting sources.
This led investigators to believe the body of the insider-turned-critic of the Riyadh regime was disposed of through the drains as liquid, the paper said.
Khashoggi was last seen entering the consulate on October 2 to obtain documents for his forthcoming marriage. His body has never been found.
After repeated denials, Saudi Arabia finally admitted the 59-year-old had been murdered at the mission in a “rogue” operation.
Yasin Aktay, an adviser to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, suggested last week the body may have been dissolved in acid.
And on Monday, a Turkish official said Saudi Arabia sent two experts to Istanbul with the specific aim of covering up evidence after the murder.
Khashoggi’s Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz took to Twitter on Thursday writing, “I’m unable to express my sorrow to hear about dissolving your body Jamal!”
“They killed you and chopped up your body, depriving me and your family of conducting your funeral prayer and burying you in Madinah as wished.”
A Turkish official this week confirmed a Sabah report that chemicals expert Ahmad Abdulaziz al-Janobi and toxicology expert Khaled Yahya al-Zahrani were among a team sent from Saudi amid investigations into the murder.
The paper said they visited the consulate every day from their arrival on October 11 until October 17. Saudi Arabia only allowed Turkish police to search the building on October 15.
Turkey has given recordings related to the killing of Jamal Khashoggi to Germany, France and Britain, President Erdogan said yesterday, seeking to maintain international pressure on Riyadh over the Saudi journalist’s death.
His killing provoked global outrage but little concrete action by world powers against Saudi Arabia.
Speaking as he left Turkey to attend World War One commemorations in France alongside President Donald Trump and European leaders, Erdogan said for the first time that the three European Union states had heard the recordings.
“We gave the tapes. We gave them to Saudi Arabia, to the United States, Germans, French and British, all of them. They have listened to all the conversations in them. They know,” Erdogan said.