Mabuyane remains in charge
Despite protests Oscar-led PEC still at the helm
OSCAR Mabuyane remains the ANC provincial chairman, the party’s national spokesman Zizi Kodwa announced yesterday.
This follows back-to-back meetings on Monday and Wednesday which saw national executive committee (NEC) deployees tabling a report before the top six national officials.
They, in turn, followed a complaint filed by former provincial chairman Phumulo Masualle and some former provincial executive committee (PEC) members in a 29page letter dated October 3.
In the letter the group challenged the credentials of those who attended and elected the Mabuyaneled PEC during the three-day conference held at the East London ICC two weeks ago.
In the letter they cited 14 cases of branches whose status at the conference was questionable.
These included complaints about wards 6, 9, 11, 19, 21, 28 and 29 in Ingquza Hill sub-region of the O R Tambo region.
The officials met with the former leaders on Monday and that was followed by yet another heated meeting between the top officials, after the NEC deployees tabled their official report on events leading to the election of the new Eastern Cape ANC leadership.
“There is a leadership elected by the conference. There is a complaint from former PEC members. That does not nullify the elected leadership of the conference. That is why the PEC will continue doing its work,” said Kodwa.
He confirmed to the Dispatch yesterday that at Wednesday’s meeting held in Cape Town, Mabuyane and deputy secretary Helen SaulsAugust were also summoned to answer questions.
These related to allegations that delegates who were supposed to attend the conference had been left out and some of those who did attend were not supposed to attend the conference. The two formed the secretariat and were therefore responsible for the administration of conference preparations.
There was speculation that the President Jacob Zuma-led top officials would rule on the matter, and nullify the newly elected structure.
But Kodwa reassured ANC members yesterday that Mabuyane remained at the helm.
“The officials have called everybody because there are many allegations that have arisen at the conference.
“Since Monday and Wednesday, the officials have been listening to complaints made by the PEC as led by Phumulo [Masualle].
“Then they received a report from NEC deployees. That meeting continued [on Wednesday].
“They also invited the former secretary and deputy secretary in their capacity as officials responsible to administer the conference,” added Kodwa.
The Dispatch can reveal today that newly elected provincial secretary Lulama Ngcukayitobi has since invited the media to a press conference at Dan’s Lodge on Sunday.
This would be after the new 35member PEC is taken through induction. Kodwa, as head of NEC deployees, will also attend.
“I’m in no position to comment on the PEC’s other programmes.
“But what I know is that I am invited to a PEC meeting on Sunday,” said Kodwa. — DDC
LEADERSHIP CHALLENGE: Oscar Mabuyane is the ANC provincial chairman