Shack blaze toll rises
THE father of the 2-year-old who died after sustaining injuries in the weekend’s fire at the Foreman Road informal settlement has also died in hospital.
Eric Mpanza died just days after his son, Sisipho Xulu, died of his injuries in hospital.
It is thought that the fire, which left hundreds of people homeless, started after a candle fell over in one of the shacks.
Shackdwellers’ movement Abahlali base Mjondolo said Mpanza was a Mozambican national.
Thapelo Mohapi, the group’s general secretary, said they would help to repatriate Mpanza’s body to Mozambique.
Meanwhile, a food and clothing collection drive has been started by Satish Dhupelia of the Gandhi Development Trust.
“There is a committee in place and there is a list of the affected. When clothing is donated, it is sorted according to size and sex, and then distributed according to the list,” he said.
Those wanting to donate can contact Dhupelia at 083 539 8202, or drop the items off at the Engen Garage at 45th Cutting.