Pork ribs with pumpkin crisps
Serves 6 PREP TIME: 20 minutes (+cooking time) • 2 large racks pork ribs, about
1.5kg in total • 4 star anise • 2 cinnamon sticks • 2 tbsp allspice berries For the basting sauce • 150g sundried tomatoes, marinated in olive oil, drained • 1 tsp smoked paprika • 1 tsp ground cinnamon • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar • 1 tsp honey • himalayan salt and black pepper
For the crisps
• ½ cup coconut oil • 300g pumpkin, thinly sliced
1. Put the ribs and the spices in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain, place the ribs in a shallow dish and leave to cool.
2. For the basting sauce: Place all the ingredients in a blender along with 2 tbsp water and blitz until smooth. Brush the mixture over the ribs and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Cook the ribs over medium coals until they’re crispy and cooked through, basting occasionally with the remaining sauce. 4. For the crisps: Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan and fry the pumpkin slices until crispy. 5. Serve ribs hot, with pumpkin crisps.
Spatchcock chicken with lemon peri-peri butter
Serves 6 PREP TIME: 40 min (+ cooking time) • 2 spatchcock chickens • 2 cups buttermilk
For the butter
• 130g butter, softened • 1 tsp dried chilli flakes,
crushed • 2 cloves garlic, chopped • 2 spring onions or salad onions,
finely chopped • juice and zest of 1 lemon • himalayan salt and black pepper
For the basting sauce
• 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted • 2 tsp white wine vinegar • 1½ tsp paprika • pinch of cayenne pepper • big pinch dried chilli flakes • lemon wedges, to serve • homemade peri-peri sauce,
to serve (recipe on page 93)
1. Place the chickens in a shallow dish, pour the buttermilk over and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Drain the meat. 2. For the butter: Mix together all the ingredients, then slide the butter under the skin of the chicken as far back as it will go and season the meat well.
3. For the sauce: Mix all the ingredients together and brush over the chickens.
4. Place the meat on the braai and cover with foil or a lid. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through and golden, basting occasionally. 5. To serve: Cut the chicken into portions and serve with the peri-peri sauce and lemon segments that have been chargrilled over the braai.
Mushrooms with cheesy artichoke filling
Serves 6 PREP TIME: 10 min (+ cooking time) • 6 large brown mushrooms • melted coconut oil, for basting
For the filling
• 120g baby spinach, blanched and chopped • 20g fresh parsley, chopped • 200g artichoke hearts, drained
and chopped • 50g pecorino cheese, grated • 120g cream cheese • himalayan salt and black pepper • pickled red onion (recipe on page 95) and fresh thyme, to serve
1. Brush the mushrooms with the coconut oil.
2. For the filling: Place the spinach, parsley, artichoke, cheese and cream cheese in a blender, and blitz to combine. Season well.
3. Spoon dollops of the mixture onto the mushrooms and cook in a pan on the braai until the mushrooms are soft and the cheese has melted.
4. Serve hot, topped with pickled onion and fresh thyme.