GINGER AND LEMON SLICE
Makes 18 Prep and baking time: 45 minutes (+ cooling and standing time) • 125g butter, chopped • ½ cup (110g) castor sugar • 2 tbsp desiccated coconut • 1 tsp grated lemon zest • 2 tbsp lemon juice • 250g milk coffee biscuits [or
coconut biscuits] • 150g finely chopped crystallised
ginger • ½ cup (65g) dried cranberries • 2 tsp ground ginger • 2 eggs, beaten lightly FOR THE ICING • 1 cup (160g) pure icing sugar • 1½ tbsp lemon juice • tiny drop pink food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease an 18cm x 27cm slice pan (inside top measurement). Line the base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 3cm over the sides.
2. Place the butter, sugar, coconut, lemon zest and juice in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until the butter has melted.
3. Process the biscuits until crushed. Combine the biscuits, chopped ginger, cranberries and ground ginger in a large bowl. Stir in the warm butter mixture. Add the eggs; stir to combine. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
4. Bake the slice for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the pan. 5. For the icing: Sift the icing sugar into a medium bowl, add enough lemon juice to make a drizzling consistency. Tint with the food colouring.
6. Drizzle the icing over the cooled
slice. Stand for 30 minutes or until set. Lift the slice from the pan and cut into squares.