Readers have their say
Cancel the offside law
Since the inception of the offside law, very few have discussed whether it helps the beautiful game or not.
The offside law has the following disadvantages:
• Either no goals or less goals in matches.
• The failure of many attacks due to the restriction of the strikers’ movement.
• Makes the matches boring and frustrating to watch due to the breakdown of the attacking plays.
Cancellation of the offside law has the following advantages:
• More goals in matches.
• Footballers can play with more speed and freedom when attacking - strikers will not have to wait and modify their position in relation to opposing defenders.
• A more exciting game for supporters and players
• End the arguing about decisions by linesmen when calling offside. I urge FIFA to test out the cancellation of the offside law in friendly matches before permanently doing so in official fixtures. Any argument around the cancellation of the offside law will be unrealistic until a method of assessment (like my previously mentioned method) is done and the situation will be fully clear. But this could be the start.