MOM PIMPS DAUGHTER (14)
Mother of girl sent photos to US man Woman turns to court to stop neighbours’
Fthe age of 11, the girl was allegedly forced to pose and perform sexual acts so her mother could take photographs and send them to a man in the US.
Three years later, the teenager, who is now 14, and her 11-year-old brother are in a place of safety following a dramatic international manhunt that started in North Carolina in the US and ended in the small town of Vredenburg in the Western Cape.
When the SAPS’s Family Violence and Child Protection Unit raided the premises in Vredenburg last week they were shocked by what they found.
It was the first time, they said, that they had arrested a mother allegedly involved in the sexual assault of her child.
This week the girl’s parents, who can’t be named because of the sexual nature of the crime and her age, will be back in court as they apply for bail.
The couple are each facing 10 charges relating to rape, sexual assault and the manufacture of child pornography.
The search for the girl started when Lieutenant-Colonel Heila Niemand, the commander of the Gauteng Family Violence and Child Protection Unit, was approached by members of the Homeland Security Department based at the US embassy in Pretoria.
They informed her that a man had been arrested in Catawba County in North Carolina with child por nography on his cellphone. When the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation forensically investigated the phone they discovered he had paid for the pictures. They were able to track the payments to South Africa. “He was using wire transfers to send the money,” said Niemand.
The suspect, she said, was alle gedly using Facebook and WhatsApp to communicate with the girl and her family.
US authorities, she said, initially tracked the money transfers to an address in Port Elizabeth, but when police visited the premises they dis-
covered the family had moved. The hunt then moved to Gauteng but again police discovered the family were no longer living there.
Then, the police got lucky, Niemand said. Detectives obtained an address in Vredenburg.
On February 14, the police swooped and found the family.
Niemand was able to piece together how the alleged crime unfolded. “He first befriended the child sending her messages. Then the mother jumped on to the bandwagon wanting payment. He would send messages asking for specific positions he wanted the girl to be photographed in.”
Police believe the mother had been allegedly sending photographs of her daughter for three years. “They told us they did it because they are unemployed and needed to buy food.”
The girl, Niemand added, had believed the man in the US was planning to marry her.
Police were surprised that the mother had no prior criminal record related to child pornography.
The Vredenburg arrests are just the latest in a number of high-pro- file child sex crimes that have rocked South Africa.
On Tuesday, the Metro police and SAPS raided a brothel in Kempton Park in Ekurhuleni. They found teenagers, some as young as 15 years old who were believed to be working as sexworkers. The teenagers were allegedly lured to the premises with promises of employment and opportunities to study further.
Next month, 33-year-old Jayde Sheldon Bailey is to be sentenced in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court after it was discovered he was part of an international child pornography ring called the “gigatribe” that shared images among one another.
Bailey, the father of 15-monthold twin daughters, and his wife are alleged to have distributed footage of rape, torture, and the murder of babies, including newborns.
They are charged with importing, possession and distribution of films that encourage or promote child pornography or the sexual exploitation of children.
This investigation involved the SAPS, the FBI and Belgian police. COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO! The early morning crowing of roosters and other noises from the neighbouring property was such torture that a Midrand woman has gone to court.
Anelle van Buuren turned to the high court in Pretoria to interdict her neighbours, Sadhaseelan and Sarashnee Govender, over the noise caused by their menagerie of roosters, geese and a turkey.
Describing it as noise pollution, she said she had tried everything to stop the noise, which carried on all day. “I approached them on numerous occasions, I approached the SPCA, the City of Joburg and the National Prosecuting Authority,” she told the court.
In court papers she said: “All my attempts to resolve this have come to naught.”
She said the Govenders had moved in next door to her in 2013 and set up a pen for poultry on the boundary wall with her property. But, she said, it was close to her bedroom which faced the wall. Her neighbours then packed in a variety of poultry, including roosters, chickens, geese, peacocks and a turkey. “Needless to say, they caused a lot of noise.
“The roosters crowed at dusk, throughout the night and into the early morning. The peacocks and hens called regularly, especially at dusk and dawn.
“The turkey gobbles all hours of the day and night,” she said.
Van Buuren said the noise had seriously affected her convenience and peace as she was awoken at night and early in the morning.
“I initially tolerated the noise, thinking the animals would settle down. After several months of continuous noise, interrupted sleep and increasing ill health I realised they were not going to settle down.”
Van Buuren said she had spoken to the Govenders and they had moved the pen slightly back from the boundary wall.
But while this perked her up, the prospect of sleep was short-lived, and the noise continued.
Van Buuren eventually contacted the Gauteng Health Department and officials paid the Govenders a visit.
She was told by the officials that the area was zoned agricultural and the noise was reasonable under the circumstances.
The Govenders moved the pen further from the wall and got rid of some of the roosters. This helped, Van Buuren said, as there was less crowing but the noise continued.
She said she could no longer handle the sleep deprivation. But Sarashnee Govender said she had adhered to all calls to move the pen, yet her neighbour continued to complain.
Judge Pierre Rabie did not make an order regarding the interdict at this stage and simply ordered the Govenders to pay Van Buuren’s legal costs for the application.