Family relives storm tragedy
AT LEAST four people are still missing after a massive storm ravaged KwaZulu-Natal on Tuesday and, as their loved ones wait with bated breath for news, Brenda Scriven’s family sends them their love and strength.
Scriven was washed away by floodwaters during a storm in July last year.
Despite an extensive search, she was never found.
Yesterday, her daughter Tami Alves, told The Mercury it had been a “a very hard couple of days” for her and her family. She had seen footage of the SAPS Search and Rescue officers looking for the victims of this week’s disaster.
“It breaks my heart, it brings back memories of being in the exact same situation so many people, from so many walks of life, are in now,” she said. “We know how difficult it is. We know they’re still holding out hope, we know what that’s like.
“The Search and Rescue guys are absolutely phenomenal. Have faith that they are doing their best,” she said.
Alves’ family had been in contact with the unit, to offer any assistance they could. “When they were searching for our mom, their van was understocked and so we’ve been trying to make sure that they’ve got everything they need, too.”
She said what those affected were going through, was incredibly tough.
“We were very fortunate in that our family is exceptionally strong and very close and the outpouring of support that we received from the community, helped us so much.”
Tuesday’s storm claimed at least 14 lives. Among them were 18-month old Hope Maphumulo and her 3-year-old sister, Nolwazi. Search and Rescue officers recovered their bodies near the Isipingo canal, yesterday. Their mother is still missing. So are Nomthandazo Chili, 14, from Folweni, and 22month old Okuhle Kweyama, from uMlazi D Section.