Quebec mosque shooting claims 6 lives
QUEBEC CITY: Six people were killed and eight wounded when gunmen opened fire at a Quebec mosque during Sunday night prayers, in what Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called a “terrorist attack on Muslims”.
Police said two suspects had been arrested, but gave no details about them or what prompted the attack.
Initially, the mosque president said five people were killed and a witness said up to three gunmen had fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre. Police said only two people were involved in the attack.
“Six people are confirmed dead – they range in age from 35 to about 70,” Quebec provincial police spokesperson Christine Coulombe said, adding that eight people were wounded and 39 were unharmed.
The mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, who was not inside when the shooting occurred, said he got frantic calls from people at evening prayers.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said: “We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.
“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities or country.”
The shooting came on the weekend that Trudeau said Canada would welcome refugees, after US President Donald Trump suspended the US refugee programme and temporarily barred citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US on national security grounds. Reuters –
A police officer looks for potential evidence after two gunmen opened fire at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre. PICTURE: EPA