Prayer call to halt killing of innocents
THE SOUTH African Union Council of Independent Churches (SAUCIC) yesterday held a round-table discussion at the department of infrastructure in Joburg, highlighting the killing of women and children.
Members of SAUCIC pleaded with the government to assist them in having prayer sessions across the country following the recent attacks against women and children.
The president of SAUCIC, Archbishop Modiri Patrick Shole, said he was aware of the recent marches in the country and he appreciated them.
He also said the government should assist SAUCIC with funding so that the organisation could go around the country and pray.
Shole said marches were not the only thing that would bring awareness to the country, and having prayer sessions would also have an impact.
“There is a dark spirit clouding us and we need to pray for our country,” said Shole.
SAUCIC plans to have a meeting with Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane, together with MEC of Social Development Faith Mazibuko, to come up with new ways to stop the brutal killings of women and children.
Members of SAUCIC appreciated the media coverage of what was happening in the country, highlighting the Tuesday march that was led by Nkosi-Malobane which visited the building where a 22-year-old pregnant woman was raped by 11 men on her way to work last month.
The candlelight march was to highlight what took place there and to change the name of the building from “dark place” to Ekukhanyeni (“in the light” in isiZulu).
SAUCIC members also pleaded with parents to pray with their children at home and to make sure they always knew the whereabouts of their children.
It was also stated that it was time that churches took a stand and joined forces with the police and communities to stamp out violence.
SAUCIC members said they were worried that most of the women who were being brutally killed were under the age of 30.