FARC dead­line moved

The Star Early Edition - - WORLD -

THE DEAD­LINE for FARC mem­bers to dis­arm has been ex­tended an ad­di­tional 20 days, the Colom­bian govern­ment said on Mon­day.

“In a joint agree­ment with the UN and the FARC, we have agreed that the arms han­dover will not end to­mor­row as had been planned, but in­stead within 20 days,” Pres­i­dent Juan Manuel San­tos said.

Last Novem­ber, the Rev­o­lu­tion­ary Armed Forces of Colom­bia, the coun­try’s left-wing guer­rilla army com­posed of nearly 7 000 sol­diers in 26 tran­si­tion zones, signed a peace treaty and agreed to sur­ren­der its weapons to the UN by May 30. teleSUR

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.