Two slain, two crit­i­cal af­ter at­tack

Sur­vivors fight­ing for their lives, one was com­men­ta­tor at Ti­tans game

The Star Late Edition - - NEWS - GOITSEMANG TLHABYE

ONE of two men fight­ing for their lives in hos­pi­tal was the com­men­ta­tor when Tsh­wane’s cricket fran­chise Mul­ti­ply Ti­tans won the Mo­men­tum e Kasi Chal­lenge and Jukskei Derby Cup against the Highveld Lions in Ham­man­skraal on Wed­nes­day.

Ti­tans chief ex­ec­u­tive Jac­ques Faul said: “One of the men in hos­pi­tal was the an­nouncer at the game. He has al­ways been cru­cial to cricket de­vel­op­ment and has a sparkling per­son­al­ity, which was why we asked him to be the an­nouncer. This has shaken us all.”

Faul said the en­tire staff were shocked af­ter hear­ing the news of the at­tacks and deaths of their club mem­bers. He said all four men were in­volved in the club’s af­fairs.

“The club has gone from a high af­ter win­ning the Mo­men­tum e Kasi Chal­lenge Cup to an all-time low af­ter this,” he said.

The two men, whose iden­ti­ties have been with­held for safety rea­sons, sur­vived the hor­rific at­tack dur­ing which Given Nkosi, 24, and Charles Maseko, 25, were mur­dered at the Laudium Cricket Club­house hours af­ter the game be­tween Ti­tans and their Joburg ri­vals. The Laudium Club is an af­fil­i­ate of the Ti­tans.

Spec­u­la­tion in the com­mu­nity is that the men were blud­geoned with train­ing equip­ment. The bod­ies of Nkosi and Maseko were found at the club­house yes­ter­day morn­ing.

Po­lice said the two men, aged 27, who sur­vived were taken to a nearby hos­pi­tal.

Nkosi’s mother, Li­nah, said her son said he would die play­ing cricket – and a cricket club was where his life ended. Li­nah said she would al­ways re­mem­ber her son by those words.

“He loved play­ing cricket from when he was eight years old, but he stopped briefly when got a job at Wool­worths.

“But a while af­ter get­ting the job, he in­formed the fam­ily that he was no longer happy there and wanted to re­turn to play­ing cricket full-time for the Ti­tans,” she said, with tears in her eyes.

“When­ever we asked him, he would al­ways say he loved the Ti­tans and play­ing cricket. He said he would con­tinue to play un­til he died and that is ex­actly what hap­pened.”

Jan Masemola, Maseko’s un­cle, said all his nephew ever talked about was how much he loved cricket; so much so that he had moved out of home and went to stay at the club­house.

Masemola said he saw his nephew a week ago and he never men­tioned be­ing threat­ened or hav­ing any is­sues at the club. “The last time we saw him he was happy that his team was go­ing to play a tour­na­ment in Soshanguve.

“We are sur­prised that this has hap­pened with­out any warn­ing or provo­ca­tion. I feel sorry for my sis­ter,” he said.

Po­lice spokesper­son Cap­tain Au­gusti­nah Selepe said cases of mur­der and as­sault with in­tent to do griev­ous bod­ily harm had been opened.

Noth­ing was stolen from the club­house and the mo­tive for the at­tacks was un­known.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.