Selectors to talk to Kallis on future
ANDREW HUDSON will hold an urgent meeting with Jacques Kallis to gain clarity about the great all-rounder’s future in the international limited overs formats.
Kallis shocked conveyor of selectors Hudson and his panel when he asked to be withdrawn from the squad for last month’s Champions Trophy in England, citing personal problems.
Through his agent Dave Rundle, it later emerged that Kallis was still keen to play the next World Cup in Australia in 2015. Hudson though wants to hear from the player himself.
“There needs to be a discussion with Jacques in terms of where he is at and whether we see him adding value in those formats,” Hudson explained.
Kallis was not included in any of the squads for the three-week trip to Sri Lanka which will see South Africa play five One-Day and three T20 Internationals. Kallis last played an ODI in New Zealand in March last year.
Under Gary Kirsten’s stewardship a loose understanding developed where Kallis, who has played 321 ODIs, was not available for bilateral series’ but would be picked for tournaments as a way of prolonging his career.
Hudson however does not foresee a situation where Kallis can only play in tournaments. “I don’t think that’s ideal. “I would hope that the team and the squad you take to the World Cup has been representing South Africa in the preceding 18 months. Jacques is special and we need to give him due consideration,” he said.
New Proteas coach Russell Domingo said negotiations were still continuing with Kirsten about what role he would play.
“I’m very keen to get him back on board as some sort of consultant.”
The Proteas leave for Sri Lanka next Sunday.
‘STILL KEEN’: Jacques Kallis in action.