Capturing nature’s carpet
CONGRATULATIONS to Sandy Williams of Claremont for her picture of blooming flowers in Cape Agulhas.
She was at the southernmost tip of Africa recently and “was amazed to see the flowers all the way there from Caledon… pretty pink and yellow carpets of nature.”
Williams wins a midweek stay at Montagu Springs.
The runners- up are Thandi Welman of Kenilworth for her picture of the Olympian temple of Zeus in Athens and Louise Smith of Paarl for her picture of an angel etched into the crops at Hillcrest Berry Orchards, Stellenbosch.
Welman says she visited this ancient marvel in Greece. “On the day I visited I was the only person there. With no distractions from tourists and flashing cameras, I could step back in time and feel the history flow around me.”
Smith says she and her son were having lunch in Stellenbosch when they spotted this crop pattern.
“At first we were not sure how this angel was made or for what reason. Perhaps it is for the Christmas season.
“Later the evening when we zoomed in on the photographs we had snapped we saw that there were indeed people and a tractor working on this amazing work of art.” Competition rules: ● All photographs must relate to travel, and you may enter as many times as you like.
● All photographs must be sent as jpeg attachments and not embedded in MS Word documents.
● All photographs must be digital and high resolution.
No photographs taken on cellphones or photographs smaller than 700kb will be accepted.
● Photographers must supply their name and surname, as well as the suburb in which they live, with a phone number and 50 to 100 words describing how they came to take the picture they are submitting.
● Photographs received without full details and description, or the correct resolution, will not be considered for publication.
● Photographs must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and marked “Photo competition”.
BLESSED: Louise Smith captured this picture of workers making an image of an angel on a field in Stellenbosch.
STEP BACK IN TIME: Thandi Welman visited the Olympian temple of Zeus in Athens.
FLORAL FIELDS: The carpets of spring flowers trailing all the way from Caledon to Cape Agulhas captivated winner Sandy Williams.