Guess who stopped by for some shop­ping…

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - MIKE BEHR

PRINCE Harry is one of the most fa­mous faces on the planet.

But thanks to a gin­ger beard grown dur­ing a re­cently com­pleted Antarc­tica trek to the South Pole, he man­aged to do a spot of incog­nito Christ­mas shop­ping at the V&A Water­front on Thurs­day.

Ac­com­pa­nied by three body­guards, the 29-year-old Bri­tish royal strolled down from his ho­tel un­no­ticed into the packed shop­ping precinct shortly af­ter lunch time. Wear­ing a cap and dark glasses to com­plete his dis­guise, he walked into Cape Union Mart where he shopped for a se­lec­tion of ca­sual shirts.

Then he moved on to a nearby cu­rio shop, Taung Trad­ing Post, where he pur­chased a mys­tery gift that was wrapped by a shop­ping as­sis­tant who ap­peared not to recog­nise the fa­mous cus­tomer.

Judg­ing by the way Prince Harry lugged the Taung shop­ping car­rier around the Water­front though, it was a heavy gift.

Af­ter four weeks in Antarc­tica in freez­ing tem­per­a­tures as low as -50ºC, Prince Harry looked like he was tak­ing strain in the 30ºC – plus heat, as his cheeks turned red and he fre­quently wiped the sweat from his brow.

Next stop was Mar­ket on the Wharf, where Harry made a bee­line straight to the bil­tong stall to pur­chase a large packet of bil­tong.

‘The woman who cut his bil­tong never bat­ted an eye­lid’

“He blended in with the crowd,” said one shop­per who recog­nised Harry be­hind his dis­guise.

“The woman who cut his bil­tong never bat­ted an eye­lid. He was just another cus­tomer. The only thing that stood out was his po­lite­ness. He thanked her twice be­fore mov­ing off.”

By now in need of re­fresh­ment, Harry and his body­guards then stopped off at The Bub­ble Tea Com- pany where they bought cups of the fash­ion­able new drink that has taken the world by storm.

Like any other shop­per in need of a break, they then sipped their tip­ples on a bench in the shade of a No­bel Square tree un­der the gaze of Nel­son Man­dela’s statue.

Rested, the royal en­tourage then strolled through the shop­ping throngs into the Vic­to­ria Wharf Shop­ping Cen­tre to the pho­to­graphic sup­plies store, Au­di­olens. There Harry idly watched pass­ing shop­pers while a body­guard com­pleted a pur­chase.

Again no-one seemed to give the Bub­ble Tea-sip­ping royal so much as a sec­ond glance.

Ten min­utes later the Prince was spot­ted strolling slowly back to his ho­tel, chat­ting and jok­ing with his body­guards along the way. Prince Harry flew back to the UK yes­ter­day.

Last weekend he camped out at the South Pole af­ter suc­cess­fully com­plet­ing his Walk­ing With The Wounded char­ity ex­pe­di­tion with a group of in­jured ser­vice­men.

Ear­lier this week, the group had to beat a re­treat out of No­volazarevskaya air­base back to Cape Town to avoid an ap­proach­ing storm.

MR IN­VIS­I­BLE: That well-known sexy smile comes out to play. Bri­tain’s Prince Harry was car­ry­ing a shop­ping bag from Cape Union Mart, where he ap­par­ently went un­recog­nised by the sales as­sis­tant.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.