City petrol-bombing victim and suspect die
BOTH the suspect and victim in the case that rattled City Bowl residents earlier this week involving a petrol bomb being thrown at a German businessman in Gardens, have died.
The unnamed businessman, in his fifties, died in hospital yesterday as a result of the severity of his burns.
Weekend Argus understands the suspect, 38, hanged himself in a holding cell in the Cape Town Central police station on Wednesday.
The petrol bombing occurred in Wesley Street, off Buitenkant Street, on Tuesday morning.
Police spokeswoman Constable Noloyiso Rwexana confirmed yesterday the businessman had died.
She said police could not divulge his identity as his family had asked officers not to release his name to the media.
“Police have to get consent from the family first,” Rwexana said.
Officers had initially been investigating an attempted murder case, but she said since the death of the victim, officers were now investigating a murder case. It is understood that shortly before the petrol bombing occurred, the two had argued.
The suspect had then allegedly hurled a petrol bomb at the businessman who was in his car. Those on the scene said the businessman was on his way to the police station to register a complaint against the man when the attack took place.
Both the businessman and the suspect suffered burns, but the businessman’s wounds were severe.
Acting national spokesman for the Independent Police Investigative Directorate Robbie Raburabu told Weekend Argus the suspect had initially been hospitalised.
He was then discharged and taken into police custody.
“At the police station he hanged himself with a garment, his top,” Raburabu said.
It is understood the suicide happened in a holding cell, and that the suspect hung himself from bars at the cell’s entrance.
Raburabu said the death in police custody was being probed.