Garden a gift that just keeps on giving
KIRSTENBOSCH Garden is a fun space for kids to visit and making them extra fun these holidays are Winter Wonders activities for kids.
Children under 18 do not have to pay to go into this world-famous, beautiful garden during the holidays and many of the events this week are also free.
Today and next Saturday from 9.30am until 11.30am there will be a Winter Wonders Family Treasure Hunt. Family groups (i.e. no unaccompanied children) get to join a treasure-hunting team and embark on a quest to find treasures. Meet at the information desk in the Visitors’ Centre. The hunt starts at 9.30am sharp from Gate 1 and since it is winter, waterproof clothing is a good idea. There will be a snack break, so come prepared.
No booking is required and there is no fee.
● Tomorrow you can enjoy watching a stilt walker at Moyo’s restaurant between 11am and noon. This is followed by sand art for kids at 12.30pm.
● On Tuesday at 10am, kids will hear about Curly the Chameleon and Hagedash the Hadeda and join fun activities in the Struik Children’s story reading and activity programme in the Botanical Society Bookshop at the Visitors Centre.
● On Wednesday, if you are aged 10 or older, you can spend the morning at a Biodiversity and Waste Art Workshop between 9am and 1pm.
It includes a guided walk through the Garden, forest, Fynbos and “useful plants” areas. Back at the Gold Fields Education Centre, participants will make a stationery holder or a frame out of “waste” and decorate these with recycled items or dried plants.
Book with Sally Hey: 021 799 8676/ 8670 email: s.hey @sanbi.org.za Cost: R60
● On Thursday, between 9am1pm it is the six to nine year olds’ turn. They will learn about Nature’s Treasure Box by taking part in fun games, story-telling, and an exploratory walk in the magical garden.
Then they make their own treasure boxes to store things they’ve collected. Book with Sally Hey: 021 799 8676/ 8670 email: s.hey @sanbi.org.za Cost: R60
Also on Thursday, Moyo restaurant is hosting a magician between 11am and noon, followed at 12.30pm with Spin Art for kids. ● Friday is story time. Head to the Botanical Society Bookshop at the Visitors Centre at 10am to join author Lindsay Norman and illustrator Izak Vollgraaff for story telling and activities that involve Aunt Alice and a lion, not to mention a herd of elephants.
At Moyo you can catch a magician in action between 11am and noon.
Don’t miss Charlie Chaplin’s appearance between 12.30pm and 1.30pm at Moyo on Sunday, July 17, preceded by a magician.
● Full programme details on www. sanbi. org. za and www. struiknatureclub.co.za
Kirstenbosch Garden has many of great activities planned for this holiday, including treasure hunts and a magician.
Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden has so many things to do and and see this holiday.