A chance to network with like-minded folk
Meet the architects at Open Design Cape Town
THE LATEST design-led innovations, in the roll out of the Better Living Challenge, will be among numerous events taking place during the Open Design Cape Town festival, which runs from August 10 to 21.
The architecture events are part of the 12- day festival, which features more than 140 events including talks, exhibitions, workshops, tours, activations and interactive experiences that explore how design and innovation can be used to add great value to our daily lives.
The festival takes place in two stages, with events, expos and workshops at Cape Town City Hall from August 10 to 16 and citywide activations from August 17 to 21.
“Open Design is open to everyone, whether they are new to design or already see design and innovation as critical to designing a better future world. Although some festival events are ticketed, most are free to attend,” says a festival spokesperson. Events include: ● Talk 100: A day of free talks by dedicated change-makers and thought leaders working on ground-breaking projects that are all contributing to a better world takes place on August 11 from 11am to 4pm. Hear their stories; participate in discussions and network with other guests on topics including “It takes a village to raise a child. What does it take to build a community?” and “Are we ready for the fourth industrial revolution?”
● The Better Living Challenge: A journey towards design-led innovation exhibition opens at the City Hall on August 10. In similar vein, the Swiss South Africa Joint Research Collaboration will hold an exhibition on its human settlements in a city of opportunity project. Hosted by the University of Basel and the Swiss Embassy, the exhibition takes place in the City Hall from August 11 to 16 between 10am and 5pm.
● In Architectural Open Studios, architects reveal their work and tools and discuss career opportunities. The Cape Institute of Architecture between 5pm and 8pm on August 17.
● An exhibition by dhk architects documents the practice’s past, present and future work through photography, architectural drawings, models and 3D visualisations. The Architect Gallery, Cape Institute for Architecture, from August 11 to 25 between 10am and 5pm.
● Prof Vivian BickfordSmith will launch his book The Emergence of the South African Metropolis at Rhodes Memorial Restaurant on August 11. Meet at Groote Schuur mansion in Klipper Road, Rondebosch for a two-hour tour of the Herbert Baker- designed house, and then move up to the restaurant for the book launch.
● The OD Book Lounge will offer a selection of well-priced books on art, architecture, design and related subjects. Visitors can browse and buy in the City Hall between 10am and 5pm from August 11 to 16. A two- hour walking tour to explore street art and graffiti in Woodstock will be presented by Anima Tours, starting from Woodstock Exchange at 9am on August 17.
● Dine with Khayelitsha on August 19, a platform to bridge the gap between townships and cities.
Official festival partners include the City of Cape Town, the Department of Arts and Culture, Red Bull, the Cape Craft and Design Institute and Cape Town Tourism.
See www.opendesignct.com or follow @ opendesignct on Twitter, @ opendesignct on Instagram and Opendesignct on Facebook. The official hashtag is #ODCT2016.
Meet the team of designers, tech wizards and free thinkers at Source IBA Open Studio, 3rd Floor, Armoury 2, Buchanan Square on August 19, from 3pm to 8 pm. Tour the studio and see their work including completed projects, sample boards and portfolios.