Eskom does re­scind Molefe re­in­state­ment

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - SHAIN GERMANER

IN A DE­CI­SION that sur­prised no one, the Eskom board yes­ter­day re­scinded its de­ci­sion to re­in­state Brian Molefe as the power util­ity’s chief ex­ec­u­tive.

Eskom’s ini­tial de­ci­sion to re­in­state Molefe drew crit­i­cism from po­lit­i­cal par­ties, civil so­ci­ety or­gan­i­sa­tions and the public.

Molefe left Eskom in Novem­ber 2016 af­ter he was im­pli­cated in the public pro­tec­tor’s “State of Cap­ture” re­port for an al­leged re­la­tion­ship with the con­tro­ver­sial Gup­tas. The fam­ily had al­legedly tried to form a busi­ness re­la­tion­ship with the util­ity.

On March 12, it was an­nounced Molefe would re­turn to his job, which trig­gered a back­lash from the ANC and the DA.

“Mr Molefe left Eskom un­der a cloud fol­low­ing the re­lease of the public pro­tec­tor’s re­port into ‘state cap­ture’ late last year,” ANC spokesper­son Zizi Kodwa said at the time.

“The re­port, while still un­der re­view, made ob­ser­va­tions against Mr Molefe which at the time he had deemed se­ri­ous and sig­nif­i­cant enough to war­rant his res­ig­na­tion.”

Kodwa said Eskom’s de­ci­sion to re­in­state Molefe was “tone-deaf to the South African public’s ab­so­lute ex­as­per­a­tion and anger” on cor­rup­tion.

Public En­ter­prises Min­is­ter Lynne Brown this week told Eskom to re­scind its de­ci­sion.

Her in­struc­tion was at the be­hest of an in­ter-min­is­te­rial com­mit­tee, ap­pointed by Pres­i­dent Ja­cob Zuma, af­ter Brown faced a se­ri­ous grilling in Par­lia­ment.

Eskom re­leased a state­ment yes­ter­day con­firm­ing that it had fol­lowed Brown’s di­rec­tive.

“In giv­ing ef­fect to and on the ba­sis of the min­is­ter’s di­rec­tive con­tained in the let­ter dated 31 May, 2017, it was re­solved that the res­o­lu­tion of the board of di­rec­tors taken on 2 May, 2017, is re­scinded,” the board said.

“Fur­ther­more, it was re­solved that the re­in­state­ment agree­ment con­cluded be­tween Mr Molefe and Eskom on 11 May, 2017, be re­scinded.

“In con­se­quence, Mr Molefe is no longer the group chief ex­ec­u­tive of Eskom and will no longer serve as a di­rec­tor on the board of Eskom.”

Brian Molefe

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.