Chill out with some chilli and friends
WHAT YOU NEED: 2 onions (chopped) 2 tots of olive oil 500g beef mince 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 4 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped) 1 tin chopped tomato 1 cup peri-peri sauce 1 tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1 tin whole kernel corn, drained Fresh bread, to serve WHAT TO DO:
1. In your potjie over the flames of a fire, fry the chopped onions in olive oil until they go translucent.
2. Next add the beef mince and fry until the meat starts to brown. Use your spoon or braai tongs to break up any lumps of meat.
3. Now add the mixed herbs and chopped garlic. Mix everything through and let the herbs and spices get a bit of toast.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and peri-peri sauce and stir through.
5. Put the lid on the potjie and let it simmer for 30 minutes. During this time you can lift the lid now and again to check on the fluid levels. If things look dry like the Kalahari and wants to burn like the sun, add a bit of water or beer and stir that through.
6. After 30 minutes or more, remove the lid of the potjie, stir in the kidney beans and corn kernels and let it simmer uncovered until you are happy with the consistency of the meal. If you’re having fun around the fire, let it slowly simmer for another hour. Otherwise eat as soon as you are happy with the consistency.
7. During this time you can taste the food and add more salt if you feel that it’s needed, which is unlikely as the tinned food and sauce already contains salt.