Am­mo­nium scare

Costa Blanca News (North Edition) - - NEWS - News Staff Re­porter

FIRE­FIGHT­ERS were able to limit dam­age caused by an am­mo­nium gas leak in Cal­losa d'en Sar­rià's agri­cul­tural co­op­er­a­tive on Tues­day af­ter­noon.

A faulty valve was re­port­edly to blame for the po­ten­tially dan­ger­ous sit­u­a­tion, as an es­ti­mated 150 to 200 litres of am­mo­nium in gaseous state em­anated from the in­stal­la­tions.

Nearby res­i­dents were told to close all doors and win­dows to avoid in­tox­i­ca­tions, although for­tu­nately no evac­u­a­tions were nec­es­sary.

Four teams of fire­fight­ers rushed to the scene and were able to con­tain the leak two hours later, dis­solv­ing the sub­stance with wa­ter while wear­ing spe­cial breath­ing equip­ment. Thus res­i­dents and users of the nearby sports cen­tre were saved from the po­ten­tial dan­gers posed by the sit­u­a­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Spain

© PressReader. All rights reserved.