Girl is first fireworks victim
The Emergency Room (ER) on Tuesday listed the nation’s first fireworks victim at around 12:18 in the afternoon. The young girl (10) was rushed to the ER by her parents. The parents told the medical workers that the girl’s nephew had lit fireworks and that she suffered an eye injury as she was standing too close to him. “The girl was referred to an ophthalmologist”, said acting chief of staff at the ER, Mireya Rodriguez. She pointed out that everybody must follow the safety rules given by the Fire Department Suriname (KBS) and other agencies. People are being urged to wear safety goggles when lighting fireworks with an incense. “If you are not the one lighting the firecrackers or fireworks, you must not stand too close”, said Rodriquez who added that eye and hand injuries are the most common injuries that are reported. Children must always light fireworks under the supervision of an adult. Reports indicate that half of the fireworks victims are minors. Children must not light fireworks when they are alone in the house or in the yard. Parents remain responsible for the safety of their child and other children. “You must know what your child is lighting and you must also know where your child is lighting the fireworks. Parents ….keep an eye on your child,” said Rodriguez. Last year the youngest fireworks victim was a 3-year-old girl and the oldest was a 38-year-old man. There were 25 fireworks victims in total last year and in 2015 there were 21.