To close much-used facility is madness
THE OBSERVER SAYS...
THE numbers for Accrington Victoria walk-in centre speak for themselves.
Around 23,000 people made it clear they oppose plans to close this vital local facility. Figures from 2016 show around 44,000 people were using the hospital a year - more than 120 a day. But this is not just about numbers - it is about people. To take this much-used facility away from people is madness.
It has now received six stays of execution but needs to be saved permanently.
Hyndburn often finds itself at the thin end of the wedge when it comes to cuts, and the Observer stands squarely with our readers when we say: Hands off our walk-in centre.
Last week the CCG confirmed that changes to the walk-in centre service would start on April 8 with patients potentially redirected to an alternative service on Sundays.
Kimberley added: “It seems that the CCG are making ‘off the cuff’ decisions and I question whether they would have notified the patients of the changes to the Sunday service when they did, if it had not been highlighted by our campaign.”
Dr Rachel Halstead, GP at The Royle in Great Harwood, said: “Staff at all Hyndburn practices are able to book directly into the Extended Access service. The way we have set up the system means that patients can be booked into the evening and weekend appointments if they cannot be seen or are unable to attend during normal surgery hours.”