Di­a­monds suf­fer case of the Blues

McIn­tosh says team can move on from poor de­feat

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser - - Motor Guide - Mark Pirie

Sean McIn­tosh be­lieves the next game can’t come quick enough as Air­drie look to put mem­o­ries of Stran­raer be­hind them.

The Di­a­monds of­fered up a dis­ap­point­ing dis­play at Stair Park with a Grant An­der­son dou­ble and Scott Agnew’s penalty hand­ing the 10-man Blues the three points.

A strike from tri­al­ist Willis Fur­tado was lit­tle con­so­la­tion for Air­drie as Stran­raer – who had Scott Robert­son red-carded – en­joyed a com­fort­able afternoon.

De­fender McIn­tosh, who played on the right side of mid­field in the ab­sence of in­jured loa­nee Jake Hastie, ad­mits the Di­a­monds were far from their best.He told the Ad­ver­tiser: “When we were on the road back we knew we just hadn’t been up to it.

“We were poor all afternoon. We just couldn’t get go­ing and even af­ter the equaliser we were sloppy.

“We’ve got to put this kind of re­sult be­hind us.”

He con­tin­ued: “When you put in a per­for­mance like that the next game can’t come quickly enough. You want the chance to put it right.

“We had won the two games be­fore Stran­raer, so I don’t think it’s a ques­tion of if we can com­pete.

“There is qual­ity in the dress­ing room, we all be­lieve that. We just have to show it against East Fife.”

The New Broom­field men started brightly as Luke Watt’s shot forced Stran­raer keeper Cameron Belford into a save and Liam Dick al­most put the re­bound into his own net.

Marc Fitz­patrick, who was once again lead­ing the side in the ab­sence of a head coach, felt that Dick had passed the ball back to his keeper.

A fu­ri­ous Fitz­patrick was then sent to the stand for an out­burst at the ref­eree.

Stran­raer took the lead in 10 min­utes when An­der­son’s curl­ing shot was just out of the reach of Ro­han Fer­gu­son.

Ryan Wal­lace nearly dou­bled the hosts lead sec­onds later but his bul­let header was this time saved by Fer­gu­son.

Fur­tado, play­ing his se­cond game as a Di­a­monds tri­al­ist, lev­elled as he coolly slot­ted the ball past Belford af­ter break­ing through one-on-one.

A foul in the box by Scott Ste­wart on Wal­lace handed Stran­raer a golden op­por­tu­nity to get back in front – with Scott Agnew scor­ing the re­sult­ing penalty af­ter 66 min­utes.

An­der­son got his se­cond just two min­utes later, with Air­drie’s de­fence look­ing shaky and giv­ing the winger far too much space to pick his spot.

Air­drie looked like they had been handed a life­line when Scott Robert­son re­ceived a straight red for kick­ing Tom Fry but they couldn’t amount a come­back.

Stand-in boss and cap­tain Fitz­patrick ad­mit­ted he let the play­ers down by be­ing sent to the stands.

He said: “I thought it was a pass­back. I’ve used words I shouldn’t have and have been sent off.

“Man­age­ment is a dif­fer­ent ex­pe­ri­ence al­to­gether. It is a learn­ing curve for my­self.

“I’m not play­ing just now so I’m help­ing out where I can and en­joy­ing it.”

He felt the home side were the bet­ter team on the day, adding: “I don’t think we de­served to win the game.

“At half-time we were prob­a­bly lucky that it was only 1-0.

“The third goal kills us and it’s one we should have stopped.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.