Passengers thought a bomb had gone off
Terrified passengers on a train targeted by brick-throwing yobs feared they were caught up in a terrorist attack.
The packed service, en route
to Edinburgh via Coatbridge on Saturday evening, was thrown into a state of chaos when mindless vandals launched objects at it from a bridge.
An avalanche of bricks rained down on the six carriages causing some commuters to fear an explosive device had been detonated – with the previous weekend’s London Tube terror attack still fresh in the memory.
Overhead wires were severed and left ricocheting around the train’s exterior in the incident which British Transport Police (BTP) called a “narrowly-avoided disaster”.
Coatbridge mum-of-two Angela Ward was on the train with her 14-year-old daughter Evie when it was struck near Bargeddie just before 6pm.
She told the Advertiser: There was a very sudden, loud bang that sounded like a firework.
“After the first one, a couple of more bangs followed and there was some panic around us. People didn’t know what was going on and we could see cables outside on the track.
“The bangs were so loud and it was a frightening experience as quite a lot of children were on board.
“After around 20 minutes the driver walked through the carriages and explained to everybody that something had hit the train and there was going to be a long delay.
“I’m really angry at the people who did this, especially as there were so many children on the train.”
Airdrie woman Brenda Fitzpatrick was also on board and explained: “I feared the worst and thought it was a bomb.
“I was on the first carriage; the bang was really loud and there was blind panic. We could see the cables hitting off the window and a lot of people quickly moved over to the other side of the train.
“We could see the sparks and the carriage lights were flickering on and off.
“It was very frightening as we didn’t know what was going on.
“The driver was brilliant and walked through the carriages explaining what had happened.”
Brenda added: “I’m disgusted with those responsible. They should be charged them with attempted murder.”
Another passenger was Whinhall dadof-two Stephen McPhee, who told us “around 50 per cent” of the people on his carriage thought a bomb had gone off.
He said: “That was the first thing that crossed my mind.
“We were on a busy train which was on its way to the capital city; unfortunately these things aren’t that uncommon any more.”
Passengers were eventually escorted off the train and had to walk back to Easterhouse station, before being bussed home.
BTP have confirmed they are investigating the incident which saw hundreds of lives placed in danger.
Detective Constable Victoria Graham said: “A disaster was narrowly avoided and we are now actively tracing those responsible.”
The bangs were so loud and it was a frightening experience as a lot of children were on board
Evacuation Passengers had to walk back to Easterhouse
Frightening experience For Coatbridge mum and daughter Angela and Evie Ward
Damage The driver’s window was smashed in the attack