Aldershot News & Mail : 2020-08-19

13 : 13 : 13

13

13 surreylive.news NEWS & MAIL WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 19, 2020 tms-aldershote­ditorial@reachplc.com Letters page, News & Mail, Stoke Mill, Woking Road, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1QA EMAIL: POST: n n Ashley Halstead Labour councillor Cherrywood ward, Rushmoor Borough Council POINTS OF VIEW local businesses and save our jobs. As local councillor­s, we can come together and devise a plan tailor made for both Aldershot and Farnboroug­h, in addition to our urban villages such as North Camp and North Town, not a one-size-fits-all policy from the Government. I will be writing to all of Rushmoor’s Group Leaders to invite them to put pressure on the central Government with me for urgently needed resources. I also want to hear from local residents and local business owners about how their workplaces are coping during these times and what we, as a council, can do for their local firms on a case-by-case basis. If you would like to get in touch regarding this, please email me at ashley.halstead@rushmoor.gov.uk. towards a zero-carbon economy and increasing access to skills and training opportunit­ies. I AM very pleased to announce the new ‘Jobs, Jobs, Jobs’ campaign. This takes aim at the one size fits all furlough withdrawal announced by Rishi Sunak. We are campaignin­g to protect existing jobs, create new ones and provide training opportunit­ies to help people back into work. Much like the excellent service provided by the Prospect Estate Big Local for residents of the Prospect Estate in Farnboroug­h. Given the current economic downturn and the huge uptick in redundanci­es, the pledges recently announced by Keir Starmer are essential: As you may already know, the retail sector is particular­ly at risk, with 24,000 jobs lost this year alone and some reports suggesting 250,000 jobs are at risk in retail nationwide. This has concerned me greatly as in Rushmoor, 14% of our workers are employed in retail, with a further 6% in accommodat­ion and food services; leaving a total of 20% of Rushmoor’s workforce in industries vulnerable to redundanci­es. This would devastate the local economy. Rushmoor Borough Council needs to be given the funding and powers necessary to protect our helping those left out of existing schemes. targets aid to struggling industries. Back our businesses: by setting up a £1.7 billion fightback fund to prevent firms going under and save our high streets. n Keep workers safe: by protecting workers’ rights, boosting sick pay, making workplaces safe and giving our NHS and care services the resources to avoid a second wave. n Leave no one behind: by providing additional support to areas forced into local lockdowns, supporting the self-employed and n Fight for jobs: by reforming the furlough scheme so that it supports jobs in the worst-hit sectors and n Drive job creation: by investing in infrastruc­ture, accelerati­ng progress n PRINTED AND DISTRIBUTE­D BY PRESSREADE­R PressReade­r.com +1 604 278 4604 . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY ORIGINAL COPY COPYRIGHT AND PROTECTED BY APPLICABLE LAW

© PressReader. All rights reserved.