Killer blaze was electrical fault
Father and son died in their bedrooms
Neighbours have been left haunted by the horrific screams of a father and son trapped by a fierce blaze.
Flames rapidly engulfed the Barassie semi at breakfast time on Sunday, killing Adrian Rimmer and his dad Alistair.
Frantic residents in Johnston Drive had urged both men to leap for their lives after a mattress was carried in to the back garden.
They could see both men inside the house.
Shortly before succumbing, one victim screamed back: “I can’t jump . . . I can’t jump.”
The bodies were found in their first floor bedrooms, which both overlook the back garden, shortly afterwards by firefighters.
One neighbour told the Post: “I am traumatised by what I saw and cannot get it out of my head. I will never forget it.
“I liked Alistair and Adrian and I would say they were very good neighbours.”
It emerged on Tuesday afternoon the fire was sparked by an “electrical fault.”
Fire investigators and police had continued to work at the scene on Monday.
The roof at the back of the house is covered by an array of solar panels and there are also several radio masts.
Troon police confirmed there was no criminality involved in the fire, reported at 8.25am.
The family of three living in the other semi managed to flee safely out their front door.
Fortunately they had been awake at the time and also managed to save their dog.
Their home may have been affected structurally by the blaze and possessions have been tarnished by smoke.
The alarm is understood to have been raised by teenagers who spotted flames leaping from the building.
One witness said: “They phoned 999 then grabbed a nearby ladder and tried to get to the people inside.
“A man then ran across with a mattress and started shouting at one of those inside, pleading with him to jump from the first floor window on to the mattress.
“But the man screamed back from inside the burning building, ‘ I can’t jump, I can’t jump.’
“It was horrific. It’s horrible to think two people have lost their lives.”
A police spokesman said: “This has been a tragic incident in which two men lost their lives.
“Our sympathies go to their family and friends. There was no criminality involved and it was an accidental electrical fire.”
Tragic Adrian was a former heroin addict once caught for growing cannabis in the same Johnston Drive house.
Four years ago he appeared at Ayr Sheriff Court and admitted cannabis production with intent to supply.
Police had raided the house and found growing equipment and cannabis plants in the spare room, a cupboard, the loft and a bedroom.
Adrian said then he just supplied the cannabis to his friends and he was given community service and a £ 500 fine.
Ayrshire Post sources say cannabis was discovered on Sunday in an outbuilding.
And five years ago he admitted being a peeping tom, using binoculars to spy on a woman across the road and causing her fear and alarm.
Less than two years ago a council house in Johnston Drive was fire- bombed and a man appeared in court.
It was horrific. It’s horrible to think two people have lost their lives
Tragic Adrian Rimmer died in the blaze at the gutted house
Investigation Fire offcials ready to inspect the house