Fireworks rocketing from horse trainers
A charity forced to scrap its annual fireworks display has been paid £ 5000 in compensation, the Post can reveal.
Bosses at Ayr Racecourse, who faced fury from trainers over the show scaring their horses, have made the donation to organisers at BUYMSH.
The organisation, bidding to build a new home for sick kids in Ayr, was set to blast more than 8000 pyrotechnics above the track last Friday.
But a backlash from handlers, who planned to stable their animals overnight, forced an eleventh hour u- turn.
The event has now been rescheduled for this coming Friday.
Far- t ravelled English trainers, including Donald McCain and Kerry Lee, had taken to social media to lead calls for a cancellation.
They were coming north for Ayr’s Tennent’s raceday on Saturday, which featured the high- profile Scottish Champion Hurdle Trial.
Lee said: “The stables are adjacent to the track and horses as a rule are terrified of both noise and lights from fireworks.
“Fireworks on the night before a Saturday meeting is plain stupid.”
Charity bosses, who insist they flagged up the possible fixture clash in advance, are now set to do it all again.
BUYMSH chairman, Nigel Martin, said: “It was previously considered that this would not be an issue but because of earlier racing, a greater number of horses were staying overnight and horse trainers were not happy with the prospect of fireworks.
“Clearly it was necessary for the racecourse to make horse racing its priority and the display was cancelled.
“In the knowledge that there was a race meeting taking place on the Saturday, the charity did carry out all necessary due checks and contacted Ayr Racecourse with regard to the horses to be told there would be no issues with horses and our event could take place.”
A racecourse spokesman confirmed the sizeable donation, along with more than £ 900 collected by the charity during Saturday’s raceday.
BUYMSH bucket collectors also took £ 500 after being invited to the Ayr Rugby fireworks display.
Racecourse spokesman, Iain Ferguson, said: “The situation was exacerbated when it became clear the increased prizemoney we had put into the meeting had attracted horses of a higher standard than normally would run at this meeting and many were coming from further afield and required overnight stabling.
“The earlier than normal start also meant that more horses had to be stabled overnight.
“We are delighted the display has now been rescheduled to Friday just seven days after the planned date and is not in competition with any other local displays.
“We have donated a substantial amount to BUYMSH and gave them the opportunity to hold an exit collection after racing on Saturday which raised a handsome sum.
Kick off this Friday is 6pm and includes a funfair, circus acts and more.
The first 200 children will be given free glow sticks and Domino’s will hand out free pizza at the end of the show.
Flashback Last year’s fireworks display at the racecourse