THEY say that a sign of a good side is that when they are not on top form they can still pro­duce the wins and that is ex­actly what Gwynedd League leaders Bro Goronwy pro­duced in a tight Cae Nerys af­fair as they saw off Beaumaris Town 3-1.

Hav­ing the ad­van­tage of the test­ing weather con­di­tions in the first pe­riod the hosts would have expected to gain a greater ad­van­tage than a sin­gle goal at the in­ter­val and Beaumaris would have fan­cied their chances after the break in turn­ing things around.

Early Bro at­tacks went close to open­ing the scor­ing, Cal­lum Thomas thwarted by the im­pos­ing Karl Moor­house in goal.

Half chances were cre­ated and went beg­ging be­fore Con­nor Jones shot tick­led the top­side of the cross­bar.

It was cer­tainly not all one way traf­fic as Town had spells of putting the Moelfre men’s de­fence un­der pres­sure.

Dar­ren Lewth­waite ar­rowed a ri­fling shot that man of the match Jonny Sweetser-Hawkes had to stretch full length to push away to safety and then Dean Red­mond tried his luck from long range, Sweetser-Hawkes once again us­ing all of his frame to fin­ger­tip his shot around the post.

Bro weath­ered the away pres­sure and hit back to take the lead on 20 min­utes. Rob Ti­es­teel floated in a de­light­ful free kick from out wide for Andy Wil­liams to get above his marker and head pow­er­fully into the corner.

Bro looked to fur­ther dent any chances of Beaumaris com­ing back into the match, Tay­lor Jones fir­ing wide be­fore younger brother, Con­nor, blasted a strike that with the help of slight fin­ger­tips from the gloves man slammed back off the post.

It didn’t take Town too long to level, look­ing dan­ger­ous from Shaun Lock’s long throws and set pieces this was to be the set up to make it all square min­utes after the in­ter­val.

Throw­ing the ball into the dan­ger area caus­ing all the may­hem for ev­er­green Dean Red­mond to pop up and smash the ball past Sweetser-Hawkes from only six yards out.

Lewth­waite again tried his luck from dis­tance, side foot­ing a wind as­sisted shot that just cleared the frame of the goal be­fore Con­nor Jones thought he’d put the hosts back into the lead only to be ruled out by the as­sis­tant ref­eree’s flag.

Moor­house seemed to claw the ball back off the line in slow mo­tion to deny Cal­lum Thomas be­fore another long range Town strike went close.

Andy Wil­liams’ mav­er­ick run re­sulted in Bro claim­ing an ad­van­tage again, dart­ing in be­tween de­fend­ers to un­leash a goal bound shot that was cru­elly de­flected off Huw Pritchards body into the net.

Sweetser-Hawkes again ex­celled in keep­ing out Locks tempt­ing free kick but Pritchard should have done bet­ter with less than 10 min­utes re­main­ing.

Blaz­ing over from only 6 yards out with the goal gaz­ing.

Lewth­waite chipped over the tar­get but the vis­i­tors could not find a way past the res­o­lute de­fend­ing.

Stop­page time still pro­duced a clinch­ing Bro goal and a straight dis­missal as Beaumaris ended the game in an un­savoury man­ner.

Hav­ing been shown a yel­low card Shaun Lock then got him­self into fur­ther hot wa­ter as a straight red was pro­duced not long after for dis­grace­ful ra­cial re­marks.

Bro fin­ished on a high, pun­ish­ing the vis­i­tors for push­ing up for a lev­eller in the last at­tack of the match.

Break­ing up field fast to out num­ber the stranded de­fend­ers, Wil­liams sprint­ing up the touch­line to thread the ball across to even­tu­ally find its way to the far post where full back Rich Wil­liams popped up to finish like a sea­soned pro.

Andy Wil­liams rises to head Bro Goronwy into a 1-0 lead against Beaumaris Town

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.