Hat-trick ace Asa is at it again in Shield

Bangor Mail - - SPORT -

ASA THOMAS made it a hat-trick of hat-tricks with his third tre­ble in as many games when Holy­head Town romped to a 6-1 vic­tory at Gwalch­mai in the first round of the Gwynedd League Bob Owen Memo­rial Shield.

Craig Brodie’s men got off to the per­fect start when Thomas found the back of the net af­ter just three min­utes.

The striker latched onto a pin­point pass from Tom Hadley and calmly slot­ted the ball past the ad­vanc­ing Rhys Roberts in the Gwalch­mai goal.

The Har­bour­men con­tin­ued to press for the sec­ond but were thwarted by a res­o­lute home de­fence.

The first half ebbed and flowed but both sides failed to trou­ble the score­line.

Half time saw Brodie mak­ing a change with Sean Mur­phy re­plac­ing Ian Wil­liams.

Within 10 min­utes the switch had the de­sired ef­fect as Mur­phy dou­bled Town’s ad­van­tage with his first of the sea­son.

Again Hadley played a piv­otal role by pro­vid­ing a pre­cise cross for Mur­phy to head home.

The next eight min­utes saw Town net two more.

First it was Jordie Mur­phy who found the route to goal, notch­ing up his 14th of the cam­paign, and next Thomas got his sec­ond with a curl­ing ef­fort into the far cor­ner to make it 4-0.

Any as­pi­ra­tions of a clean sheet were dashed, how­ever, when a slip from the ev­er­green Mike Davies led to a sim­ple fin­ish for Corey Sin­nott to re­duce the ar­rears.

Holy­head were still hun­gry for more and Jordie Mur­phy got his sec­ond of the af­ter­noon.

He skipped past three would-be chal­lengers be­fore calmly slot­ting un­der the ad­vanc­ing Roberts.

With time run­ning out the ques­tion was could Thomas grab his third hat­trick on the bounce and in the 81st minute he did just that, find­ing the roof of the net af­ter neat work by Luke Roberts.

Thomas now has 22 goals in just 13 ap­pear­ances.

Menai Bridge Tigers took the spoils 4-3 at Talysarn Celts in another first round tus­sle.

On a heavy pitch, af­ter 30 min­utes two-down and forced into a pair of early sub­sti­tu­tions, it did not look good for the Tigers. But with the Talysarn keeper hav­ing a rush of blood his hasty clear­ance fell to Guy Hughes, who calmly chipped in from 30 yards.

Then on the stroke of half time the keeper did the same and Andy Clarke was in a great po­si­tion to roll the ball into an empty net.

The talk at the in­ter­val was to be Picture: ALED JONES more pos­i­tive to get at the op­po­si­tion and the half was two min­utes old when a bril­liant cross from Dale Owens was volleyed home by Clarke.

Menai dom­i­nated but could not get the killer fourth. Then with 10 min­utes left Talysarn scram­bled an equaliser.

Bridge showed great char­ac­ter to pick them­selves up and with two min­utes left Owain Roberts hit a curl­ing shot into the top cor­ner to win the tie.

Post­poned: Bro Goronwy v Llan­goed and District.

Goal ma­chine Asa Thomas cel­e­brates another hat-trick for Holy­head Town

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.