Bangor Mail - - FRONT PAGE - Jez Hem­ming

A Ban­gor mum has re­vealed the hor­ror ab­scesses that ap­peared on her daugh­ter’s neck and took two op­er­a­tions to clear.

Jody Owen’s daugh­ter Amelia needed two bouts of surgery at Liver­pool’s Alder Hey Hos­pi­tal to re­move the lumps, which she said ap­peared af­ter hav­ing four teeth re­moved in June.

The lump ex­tended from be­hind the five year-old’s ear to her jaw and would not re­spond to an­tibi­otics.

Miss Owen, who is a self-em­ployed beauty ther­a­pist, said she was wor­ried the lump would cause sep­ti­caemia af­ter the first op­er­a­tion was un­suc­cess­ful. “I was so wor­ried,” she said. “Be­cause I don’t shout and scream I felt the doc­tors didn’t re­ally take no­tice of me and I didn’t re­ally know what was go­ing on.

“They kept giv­ing her an­tibi­otics and they just weren’t work­ing.

“The sec­ond time I didn’t want it to turn into sep­ti­caemia and I was wor­ried some­thing more se­ri­ous might be wrong.”

Amelia was first ad­mit­ted to Ys­byty Glan Cl­wyd on Septem­ber 5 and given an­tibi­otics be­fore be­ing sent home with more. Two weeks later, af­ter the ab­scess showed no signs of dis­pers­ing, she was given stronger an­tibi­otics be­fore even­tu­ally be­ing read­mit­ted on Septem­ber 22 be­cause they were not work­ing.

“The ab­scess looked like half of her face,” said Miss Owen.

“Fi­nally af­ter five days the hos­pi­tal con­tacted Alder Hey and we waited another two days for a bed to be­come avail­able.

“They had been treat­ing it as an in­fec­tio, but the an­tibi­otics weren’t work­ing.

“Alder Hey said it was an ab­scess straight away.”

Doc­tors op­er­ated on Amelia on Septem­ber 29.

She was kept there for a fur­ther three days be­fore be­ing sent home to Ban­gor with more an­tibi­otics.

“Af­ter she had the op­er­a­tion most of the lump had gone but be­hind her ear was quite hard,” Miss Owen ex­plained. “I was wor­ried it was not go­ing.

“We went back to Ys­byty Gwynedd on Oc­to­ber 21 and they said we needed to go back to Alder Hey.”

As there was no trans­port she had to drive lit­tle Amelia to Alder Hey, com­plete with IV drip, through Storm Brian.

She was op­er­ated on the next day and it was suc­cess­ful.

Her mum added: “Poor Amelia. She’s been a re­ally good girl, but it was trau­matic for her the sec­ond time be­cause she knew what go­ing to a hap­pen.”

Thank­fully the only last­ing legacy is that Amelia has been warned off go­ing to gym­nas­tics and swim­ming for a few weeks.

“If it hap­pened again I would take her straight to Alder Hey,” said her mum.

Jody Owen and her daugh­ter Amelia. Be­low, the ab­scess

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.