Home win in league

Fourth win from four games for Blair RFC

Blairgowrie Advertiser - - FRONT PAGE -

Last Satur­day Blair­gowrie RFC re­turned to Mid­lands League II duty with a home tie against Kirk­caldy 2nds and se­cured an­other vic­tory, beat­ing the Fife side 35-24.

From the kick-off Blair went straight into at­tack putting the Kirk­caldy de­fence un­der early pres­sure.

With ten min­utes on the clock Blair­gowrie was awarded a penalty for a high tackle which was quickly taken with stand-off Jack­son Wal­lace scor­ing un­der the posts and then con­vert­ing.

Blair then in­creased the score af­ter good team work saw winger John McLaren score a try, which was con­verted by Wal­lace.

The vis­i­tors upped the tempo putting the Blair de­fence un­der pres­sure but some stout de­fend­ing by back row player Mitchell Tuck - mak­ing his de­but for Blair­gowrie - and Matty Michie pre­vented them from scor­ing.

The pres­sure fi­nally paid off for the vis­i­tors though when they were awarded a penalty try af­ter the home side con­ceded a se­ri­ous of penal­ties in their own half - and had a player sin-binned in the process.

Blair went straight back into at­tack and sec­ond rower Neil MacRae se­cured a loose ball but was stopped short of the try line. From the en­su­ing li­ne­out the ball was fed out to young Mur­ray Or­mis­ton, play­ing this week at num­ber 12, who darted through the Kirk­caldy de­fence for a fine in­di­vid­ual try, con­verted by Wal­lace.

With the first half draw­ing to a close the vis­i­tors re­sponded with some good driv­ing rugby to score in the cor­ner, tak­ing the half time score to Blair­gowrie 21 Kirk­caldy 2nds 12.

The vis­i­tors had the early im­pe­tus from the restart, scor­ing a quick try to re­duce the deficit to two points.

It was short-lived how­ever as young Fraser Black caught the kick-off ball, burst through the vis­i­tors’ de­fence, off­loaded the ball to Mur­ray Or­mis­ton who scored un­der the posts. Wal­lace con­verted.

Kirk­caldy scored next de­spite hav­ing their scrum-half sin­binned. With only four points seper­at­ing the teams, it was Kirk­caldy who ap­plied the pres­sure, but once again some ex­cel­lent de­fen­sive play by the home side pre­vented a score.

Fol­low­ing some good work by Euan Con­sta­ble who, along with the Blair for­wards, pre­vented a maul going to ground – Mur­ray Or­mis­ton made an­other su­perb break from the scrum, only to be tack­led just short of the try-line, but not be­fore he had flicked the ball out to Black who dived over the line.

Wal­lace con­verted mak­ing the fi­nal score Blair­gowrie 35 Kirk­caldy 2nds 24.

Team: Josh Quay, Liam McLaren, Peter Dun­can, Aaron Todd, Neil MacRae, Mitchell Tuck, Fraser Black, Finn Or­mis­ton, Rus­sell Ed­wards, Jack­son Wal­lace, John McLaren, Mur­ray Or­mis­ton, Matty Michie, Rory Grant, PJ Milne, Euan Con­sta­ble, Liam Tweedie, Con­nor Keay, Mark Red­din, Tom Hel­yar, Kyle MacK­in­non, Paul Dou­glas.

Fol­low­ing the match, cap­tain Peter Dun­can re­layed his thanks to Kirk­caldy 2nds, the ref­eree, Jock Turpie for pre­par­ing the pitch, Moira Cril­ley-Orr for the ex­cel­lent post-match food and Tr­ish and Josh for man­ning the bar.

Man of the Match points were awarded as fol­lows: Neil MacRae – 1 point, Fraser Black – 2 points and Mur­ray Or­mis­ton – 3 points.

This Satur­day, Septem­ber 23, Blair­gowrie travel to Dundee for a Mid­lands League II match against Mor­gan FPs. Kick-off 3pm.

Fol­low­ing last week’s win in the Mid­lands Shield com­pe­ti­tion Blair­gowrie will now play Al­loa RFC away from home in the next round on Satur­day, Novem­ber 4.

Train­ing con­tin­ues at the JJ Coupar Park at 7pm on Tues­days and Thurs­days.

New play­ers are al­ways wel­come.

On form Jack­son Wal­lace breaks through the Kirk­caldy de­fence

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.