Holmes’ lack of ex­pe­ri­ence costs him dear

Boxing News - - Action - Andy Whit­tle

POP­U­LAR Barns­ley light­weight Ben Wa­ger se­cured the va­cant Cen­tral Area ti­tle at a sold-out Metrodome, need­ing just a frac­tion un­der two rounds to end the hopes of York’s Danny Holmes who, with just five pre­vi­ous bouts in his locker, is still a rel­a­tive novice.

The bout was only sec­onds old when Ben, courtesy of two glanc­ing hooks, dropped Danny to his knees. While un­able to com­plete the job there and then due some stern de­fen­sive stuff, it was all over just one round later when Holmes - tagged while throw­ing his own shot was down heav­ily again. Bury ref­eree John Latham waved it off with eight sec­onds of the sec­ond re­main­ing de­spite Danny ris­ing.

While there was joy for one Ben there was de­jec­tion for an­other as su­per-wel­ter Ben Davies, in a fi­nal elim­i­na­tor for the Cen­tral Area ti­tle, suf­fered his sec­ond suc­ces­sive 10-round points loss. York’s “Pock­ling­ton Rocket” Harry Matthews was ad­judged a close 95-94 win­ner by who third man John Latham.

Had Davies upped his game in the early rounds, when he scored only with sin­gle shots, in­stead of wait­ing un­til the very last ses­sion to launch a pro­longed as­sault that saw Matthews floored, then he would un­doubt­edly have emerged vic­to­ri­ous.

As it was, Harry, docked a point for an in­dis­cre­tion in the fifth, had been the busier man by a dis­tance and un­til that late Davies surge had ap­peared headed for an even wider mar­gin of vic­tory.

Con­nah’s Quay su­per-ban­tam Paul Econo­mides has an eye on a rematch against newly crowned Com­mon­wealth ti­tle champ Ash­ley Lane af­ter im­press­ing with an eighth round stop­page vic­tory over Ac­cring­ton’s Ar­tif Ali. The tri­umph saw him bag the va­cant Cen­tral Area belt.

The man dubbed “The Spar­tan” was beaten by just a sin­gle point over six by Lane at Bowlers in May, but he put that loss firmly be­hind him here.

Grow­ing in con­fi­dence with ev­ery pass­ing round and es­pe­cially dom­i­nant from the sixth when he blood­ied Ali’s nose, he fi­nally brought down the cur­tain 94 sec­onds into the eighth. A pair of telling right up­per­cuts, a pun­ish­ing right down­stairs and a fol­lowup left bring­ing Mark Lyson’s in­ter­ven­tion.

Leeds mid­dle Reece Cartwright,a

sur­prise early loser last time out, re­turned to win­ning ways with a six-round suc­cess over Den­aby Main’s al­ways tough Adam Jones.

Ref­eree Mr Lyson’s tally at the fin­ish read 59-57 for Cartwright but the score failed to fully re­flect how close Adam made it, es­pe­cially in the sec­ond half, when he gave as good as he got and fre­quently more.

A trio of home box­ers re­turned fol­low­ing pe­ri­ods of in­ac­tiv­ity, and ex­pe­ri­enced vary­ing for­tunes.

Mid­dle Wayne Reed, out since los­ing over six to Shayne Sin­gle­ton in Fe­bru­ary of last year, edged a 58-57 de­ci­sion from ref­eree Latham over Rochester’s Sonny Whit­ing. The Sh­effield man had to en­dure a night­mare penul­ti­mate ses­sion, which saw him floored in a neu­tral cor­ner and on the verge of be­ing halted by the ma­raud­ing and in­creas­ingly con­fi­dent visi­tor.

Con­is­brough su­per-ban­tam Tommy Chad­burn took a 4-0 record into his sixtwos against Sut­ton-in-ash­field’s Jor­dan Turner, but can have lit­tle cause for com­plaint af­ter slip­ping to a 58-57 de­feat in a bout over­seen by Mr Lyson. The Not­ting­hamshire man provied busier and a good deal more ac­cu­rate.

Far­ing some­what bet­ter was Womb­well’s Ross Black­well who af­ter six years away – a pe­riod that has seen him grow from a feather into a wel­ter – se­cured his fourth paid vic­tory. Mr Latham scored him a 40-37 win­ner over Sh­effield’s

Liam Wright who in Le­ices­ter­shire re­cently had scored his first win in 16 out­ings.

Liam never looked like re­peat­ing that feat, but he did keep it com­pet­i­tive and Black­well fin­ished with a swelling be­low the left eye.

Manch­ester’s Por­tuguese born Yail­ton Neves, with only one pre­vi­ous win to his credit, ig­nored a cut to the right eye­brow, suf­fered when heads bashed in the third, to si­lence the lo­cals in the opener. He claimed a nar­row, yet thor­oughly de­served 58-57 vic­tory over Barns­ley’s pop­u­lar

Matthew Mallin.


TOO MUCH, TOO SOON: Holmes [right] stug­gles to keep Wa­ger off him

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.