Com­mon­wealth ti­tle glory for Bradley in only her sixth out­ing

Boxing News - - Action - Andy Whit­tle

++++ AT­MOS­PHERE JUST a cou­ple of months af­ter Hyde’s Stacey Copeland be­came the first Bri­tish fe­male win­ner of a Com­mon­wealth ti­tle, Ne­wark’s Nina Bradley mir­rored her achieve­ment by se­cur­ing a wide and unan­i­mous points suc­cess over Tan­za­nia’s un­beaten Feriche Mashauri at King Power Sta­dium to make the va­cant su­per-light­weight ti­tle her own.

Judges John Keane, Shaun Messer and Terry O’con­nor handed in re­spec­tive cards of 97-93, 99-92 and 99-92 at the fin­ish.

Mashauri, 26, having made her ring­walk dressed in a gown the colours of her na­tion’s flag to the strains of an an­them en­ti­tled It’s Time For Africa, kept things fairly close in the early,

feel­ing-out rounds.

I cred­ited her with a share of the opener and gave her the third de­spite Nina ral­ly­ing late in that ses­sion. But from that point on­wards the bal­ance swung fur­ther and fur­ther in the Ne­wark lady’s favour. She slammed home an eye­catch­ing right cross late in the sixth and there­after never looked back, her busier, more pre­cise work leav­ing the out­classed African with a size­able swelling on her fore­head late on.

Howard Foster was the man in the mid­dle. Earl Shilton’s un­beaten Kyle Hay­wood had been set to go in against Hull’s 24-hour sub Zy­gi­man­tas

Butke­vi­cius over eight rounds in the show closer but in­stead the pair went in a bout re­duced to six. Un­sur­pris­ingly, Kyle took the 60-54 ver­dict of ref­eree Messer but he was af­forded no easy run by the Lithua­nian na­tive, who de­spite having a point docked for per­sis­tent hold­ing in the fifth proved a stub­born op­po­nent. Heavy­weight first-timer El­lis “The

Ma­chine” Machin, from Huth­waite near Mans­field, wasted pre­cious lit­tle time in get­ting off the mark in his sched­uled four against Gateshead’s Fijian-born Jone Vo­lau who, boast­ing a win­ning record as well as look­ing in de­cent nick, was having his first out­ing in 14 months. Af­ter seem­ingly just having done enough to pinch a close opener the Not­ting­hamshire man was the re­cip­i­ent of a meaty left early in the sec­ond. But any Vo­lau ad­van­tage proved short­lived and when he was clat­tered in a neu­tral cor­ner by a pair of rights and a fol­lowup left, ref­eree Mr Messer was quick to in­ter­vene with 56 sec­onds of the frame re­main­ing.

Debu­tant num­ber two, in an­other bout over­seen by Dud­ley’s Messer, was feath­er­weight Brad Daws from Carl­ton in Not­ting­ham who de­spite hand­ing Barcelona-based Nicaraguan Elvis

Guillen an ab­so­lute beat­ing over four one-sided rounds was un­able to pre­vent the amaz­ingly re­silient vis­i­tor reach­ing the fin­ish. No sur­prise that this one fin­ished 40-36, an out­come ap­pre­ci­ated by Brad’s noisy sup­port­ers. Derby’s Sajid Abid had en­coun­tered lit­tle by way of trou­ble in the four­round cur­tain-raiser against Sh­effield’s ex­pe­ri­enced wel­ter Qasim Hus­sain. The con­test was scored 40-36 from out­side the ring by Mr Messer and con­trolled in­side by Soli­hull tri­al­ist Chris Dean, who was of­fi­ci­at­ing for the very first time – and the same ref­er­ee­ing/scor­ing com­bi­na­tion was in oper­a­tion for the four be­tween one­fight Ne­wark novice Olly

Marple and Latvia’s Rai­monds Sniedze, who had come in at a rel­a­tively late stage.

The out­come was the same too, with Marple having his arm raised at the fin­ish of an oft-scrappy af­fair dur­ing which the vis­i­tor picked up a bloody nose. Tri­al­ist Dean had a busy night, pre­sid­ing over three fur­ther fours, two of which ran their al­lot­ted dis­tance and re­sulted in vic­to­ries for home box­ers. Le­ices­ter’s wildly pop­u­lar Cal­lum

Block­ley had things all his own way en route to a 40-36 shut-out win over Warmin­ster’s bearded Paul Cum­mings, whilst things proved a lit­tle closer and a good deal feistier in the con­test be­tween an­other lo­cal Con­nor Ire­son and Warwick’s Myles Vale, who boasted quite a weight ad­van­tage.

Mr Messer scored 40-37, maybe award­ing Myles a share of an ex­cit­ing third ses­sion which saw the ad­van­tage swing first one way and then the other, though there was pre­cious lit­tle day­light in the clos­ing ses­sion ei­ther.

The one which didn’t go the dis­tance saw Le­ices­ter­shire’s Kieran Pit­man re­turn to win­ning ways when West­bury’s luck­less

Kevin Wil­liams was counted out af­ter 2-26 of the sec­ond round, having been sent to the deck for the third time in quick suc­ces­sion by a right up­per­cut.

BREAK­THROUGH: Bradley cel­e­brates her Com­mon­wealth ti­tle vic­tory

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.