In­tense Gogs get back to their win­ning ways

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

RGC re­main in sec­ond place in the Premier­ship West con­fer­ence af­ter seal­ing a 26-13 win at home over Car­marthen Quins.

Af­ter last week’s dis­ap­point­ing 16-16 draw at 14-man Swansea, RGC needed to get back on track and did so with a hard fought win over Quns at Parc Eirias.

Winger Harri Evans, re­turn­ing to RGC this sea­son af­ter shak­ing off a se­ri­ous back in­jury, was de­lighted to get his first try of the sea­son, but also pointed out the de­fence work from the team in the win against Quins.

“Of course it was good to get the try, and to be fair it was a pretty easy one af­ter Dion ( Jones) passed it to me on the line,” the for­mer Llan­dudno player told the club’s of­fi­cial web­site.

“To nil them in the sec­ond half was also a big pos­i­tive and we have worked hard in train­ing this week.

“The in­ten­sity was ramped up Mon­day and Tues­day, and it helped us in the game.

“The pushed us back onto the line a few times but credit to all the boys as we made sure they didn’t get over.

“We want to cre­ate a tough at­mos­phere at home, and Mark Jones has spo­ken about it be­ing a fortress.

“We want the vis­it­ing teams to look at the fix­tures know­ing it will be a dif­fi­cult place to come to week in week out.”

The three RGC tries were the high­light of a game that didn’t re­ally spark into life, but was once again de­fined by the Gogs’de­fen­sive work.

RGC picked up their first try af­ter An­drew Wil­liams picked up the ball from the scrum and charged down­field be­fore Alex Sch­warz set up Rhys Wil­liams to go over in the cor­ner.

The pace picked up and with that RGC scored an­other su­perb score. Evans col­lected the ball and made a side-step that left the Car­marthen Quins tack­lers be­mused and darted over the half way line be­fore Rhys Wil­liams opened up the de­fence and Loots fin­ished the try off.

It was more of the same when the sec­ond half started, and prob­a­bly the loud­est cheer of the day came when Evans got his first try of the sea­son. Loots and Sch­warz made a huge break be­fore the ball was shifted wide for the cen­tre to go over.

Dion Jones added the con­ver­sion and a penalty for a suc­cess­ful af­ter­noon with the boot.

RGC will now turn their at­ten­tion to next Satur­day’s home clash with Brid­gend (2.30pm)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.