Pupils al­most pay for lapse in con­cen­tra­tion

Campbeltown Courier - - SPORT -

A TOR­RID 90 min­utes of foot­ball last Satur­day en­thralled a large Kin­tyre Park crowd.

A roller­coaster of a game, it was al­most thrown away in the clos­ing stages by a com­bi­na­tion of com­pla­cency and poor de­ci­sion mak­ing from the home side.

Ev­ery­thing started so brightly for the McFadyen-spon­sored Pupils, as the home favourites raced to what looked an unas­sail­able three-goal lead, only to be left hang­ing on for dear life as Clare­mont bat­tled for a share of the points in the clos­ing min­utes.

The Pupils once more dom­i­nated the early ex­changes, with the di­rect run­ning of Sary Rahma, Don­ald McCal­lum and Gre­gor McFadyen caus­ing the vis­i­tors all sorts of bother as the home side searched for the open­ing goal.

Nev­er­the­less, it was not till the 20th minute be­fore the cru­cial break­through ar­rived - a per­fectly flighted cor­ner kick from Ryan Deans reach­ing Jamie Burns who sent a pow­er­ful header into the net.

The home side were in dream­land when cen­tre for­ward Sary Rahma turned on a six­pence in­side the box, only to be un­cer­mo­niously up­ended af­ter some close attention from a stal­wart de­fender and the goalie.

Pros­trate on the ground, the Pupils quick-sil­ver cen­tre for­ward re­acted quickly to steer the ball home while still on the ground, a great piece of skill to put the home side two goals ahead on the half hour mark.

Clare­mont roared back into the match with 15 min­utes of the first half left, but scorned a num­ber of chances to nar­row the deficit as the clock ticked down.

Home goal­keep- er Coffield was forced to make a point-blank save with his legs, this be­fore the vis­i­tors were de­nied by the cross­bar’s un­der­side, and there­after by some last gasp de­fend­ing from Rhys Blair and El­lis Robert­son.

Re­gain­ing their com­po­sure, the Pupils looked to have se­cured full points when a goal­bound shot from Ryan McCon­nachie was fisted clear by a Clare­mont out­field player.

The penalty kick was driven home by a grate­ful Sary Rahma to give his side a three­goal cush­ion with 20 min­utes of the match re­main­ing.

That should have been game, set and match, but the home side con­trived to make it hard for them­selves through a com­bi­na­tion of com­pla­cency and some sui­ci­dal pos­ses­sion on the edge of their own box.

Clare­mont scored twice in the 71st and 84th minute, both goals of the gift-wrapped va­ri­ety as the home side seemed ready to im­plode.

Broth­ers Paul Knotts and Mark Knotts brought on as subs at half time gave the vis­i­tors a fight­ing chance.

The first came for Paul as his brother broke through and played the ball square let­ting him slot it home from 10 yards. Mark told the Courier: ‘The Pupils’ keeper ran out and I chipped it past him with a side­foot shot.’

It was a ner­vous end to a game in which the Pupils played well in stages, only to al­most throw valu­able points away with some un­char­ac­ter­is­tic de­fend­ing at the 11th hour.

Scott Camp­bell ex­celled for the vis­i­tors, with his op­po­site num­ber Keith Mitchell hav­ing an ex­cel­lent game in the home colours.

It was a per­sonal con­fronta­tion en­joyed through­out, not only by the two play­ers, but also a large and ap­pre­cia­tive au­di­ence.

With nine points from three matches, the Pupils have made the per­fect start to the sea­son and sit proudly at the top of the di­vi­sion.

Time will tell if they have the tenac­ity to stay the course.

This Satur­day the Pupils travel to play Rose­hill Star.


Jamie Burns’ header is firmly in the back of the net.


Mer­cu­rial Sary Rahma on the way to his first goal.


Coffield’s great first half save left him in agony.


Scott Souden had some great early chances.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.