Cruel cross­bar strike may have cost Pupils three

Campbeltown Courier - - SPORT -

This was a mas­sive dis­ap­point­ment for the home side, as Castlemilk came from be­hind in the fi­nal 10 min­utes to snatch the points. It was a fu­ri­ously fought match at Kin­loch Park – a game that the Pupils had led from the 18th minute of the first half. The vis­i­tors had the lion’s share of pos­ses­sion in the first pe­riod, but the lo­cal favourites cre­ated the chances in a half played at a fran­tic pace be­tween two sides of im­mea­sur­ably con­trast­ing styles. The home side started the game ex­tremely slowly and were un­der the cosh from a side play­ing the ball quickly to feet; nev­er­the­less, the Pupils de­fence coped well. With the ex­cep­tion of a one-on-one which Alas­tair Fer­gu­son man­aged to divert to safety, the vis­i­tors never looked like turn­ing their fine pos­ses­sion play into goals. It was no sur­prise when the first real chance of the match came the way of the home side; a break­out led by Lee Al­lan who played the ball to the strong run­ning Martin McCal­lum. Burst­ing for­ward, McCal­lum swept the ball across goal only to see Ryan McCon­nachie’s header go ag­o­nis­ingly over the top. The break­through was only de­layed, as Martin McCal­lum stepped for­ward in the next at­tack to drive the ball home from an edge of the box free kick. Con­tro­versy reigned for a mo­ment when Sary Rahma seemed to have his legs taken from be­hind, the quick-sil­ver striker first to his feet only to be grounded by a de­spair­ing lunge from the vis­it­ing goal­keeper. The de­ci­sion favoured the last line of de­fence, but there was a huge sigh of relief from the vis­i­tors as the ref­eree waved play on. The sec­ond half was very sim­i­lar to the first 45 min­utes, but the home side be­gan to turn the screw in the fi­nal quar­ter. The Pupils looked good for all three points when a thump­ing Gary Gru­moli header crashed off the un­der­side of the cross­bar. A sec­ond goal was needed to put this game to bed, and when Sary Rhama was un­cer­e­mo­ni­ously taken out in­side the box a penalty looked the likely out­come. It could be said it was the ‘stonewall’ va­ri­ety, but the whis­tle never came and the play raged on. Iron­i­cally, from the next move Castlemilk were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, re­sult­ing in a smart run to space and per­fectly ex­e­cuted header to bring the scores level. With time run­ning out, a vis­i­tors’ cor­ner on the at­tack­ing right, was a case of déjà vu when the ball beat ev­ery­one to be headed goal-wards with just enough mo­men­tum to cross the line for an away win. With sec­onds re­main­ing, the Pupils poured for­ward to try and re­trieve a point, but lost a third when cen­tral mid­fielder Grant ran free, for the first time in the match, to put the game be­yond doubt. Camp­bel­town Pupils are sched­uled to play Kin­ross from Perthshire in the Scot­tish Cup to­mor­row, Satur­day. Please see so­cial me­dia or match posters for in­for­ma­tion.


Gary Gru­moli cel­e­brated this strike a mo­ment too early as the ball hit the cross­bar and bounced out.


Gary Gru­moli’s header failed to cross the line.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.