Bru­tal baby killer?

Chat - - Come on in! -

The news shocked the US… Washed up on the shore of Deer Is­land, Mas­sachusetts, was a plas­tic bag. And in­side was the body of a 2-year-old girl.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors be­lieved she’d not been dead for long.

But the body was so badly de­com­posed and bloated from the water, it was im­pos­si­ble to iden­tify her.

The lit­tle girl be­came known as Baby Doe.

Over the next few weeks, in­ves­ti­ga­tors ap­pealed to the pub­lic for in­for­ma­tion. Over 200 miss­ing chil­dren were ruled out as Baby Doe.

A dig­i­tal im­age was even con­structed of what she may have looked like.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors soon be­lieved the child had been killed by a fam­ily mem­ber. Why else hadn’t she been re­ported miss­ing?

Weeks turned to months and still Baby Doe hadn’t been iden­ti­fied. Then, fi­nally, in Septem­ber 2015 there was a break­through. A woman came for­ward re­port­ing a link be­tween Baby Doe and a child named Bella Bond, 2. She knew a neigh­bour of the Bond fam­ily, who was con­cerned they hadn’t seen the child for some time. Soon, Bella was con­firmed as the uniden­ti­fied girl. Sus­pi­cion fell on her mother Rachelle Bond and boyfriend Michael Mccarthy. It was re­ported they were both drug ad­dicts. The cou­ple were ar­rested and ques­tioned. But they both had dif­fer­ent tales to tell… Mccarthy de­nied hav­ing any­thing to do with Bella’s death. He claimed Bond had told him the lit­tle girl had been taken away by the au­thor­i­ties. It was be­liev­able, con­sid­er­ing Bond and Mccarthy’s druggy life­style. But Bella’s mother claimed she saw her part­ner Mccarthy strike Bella in the ab­domen, killing her. Bond al­leged Mccarthy threat­ened to kill her, too, and se­dated her for days with heroin. Ap­par­ently, he put Bella’s body in a plas­tic bag and stored her in the fridge. Scared for her life, Bond then helped him dump Bella’s body in the water. This Fe­bru­ary, as part of a plea deal to tes­tify against Mccarthy, Bond, 41, pleaded guilty to be­ing an ac­ces­sory af­ter the fact of mur­der, and to lar­ceny, as she’d col­lected

Why hadn’t she been re­ported miss­ing..?

her girl’s child ben­e­fit af­ter she’d died.

In May, Mccarthy faced the court, charged with first-de­gree mur­der.

He stuck to his story – but, as agreed, Bond tes­ti­fied against him.

She claimed Bella wouldn’t sleep that night in June 2015, so Mccarthy had gone into her room to set­tle her.

When she heard si­lence, Bond went to check on the pair.

And then, she claimed, she saw Mccarthy re­peat­edly punch­ing tiny Bella in the ab­domen.

She told the court she at­tempted CPR, but it was too late.

When asked why she never went to the po­lice, Bond an­swered that she was scared.

Mccarthy al­legedly stran­gled her into un­con­scious­ness and in­jected her with heroin to keep her docile.

Ap­par­ently, Mccarthy then con­tin­ued to in­tim­i­date Bond, forc­ing her to help dump the child’s body in the water be­fore it drifted to Deer Is­land, where it was found.

Bond told the court that Mccarthy was ob­sessed with the oc­cult and seemed to be­lieve Bella was pos­sessed.

Bond told the court that, af­ter killing Bella, Mccarthy said, ‘She just died. It was her time. She was a de­mon.’

But Mccarthy’s de­fence ar­gued against this. They said it was Bond her­self who was ob­sessed with demons.

And, they said, it was her who’d killed Bella, say­ing her tes­ti­mony was a ‘web of lies.’ Mccarthy’s de­fence lawyer said the story was ‘a grue­some fig­ment of her imag­i­na­tion’. He ar­gued that Mccarthy wasn’t even liv­ing at the apart­ment at the time of Bella’s death, had moved out af­ter wit­ness­ing Bond’s ill treat­ment of her daugh­ter. And, ac­cord­ing to his lawyers, Mccarthy didn’t even know Bella had died un­til the cou­ple were ar­rested. His de­fence also chal­lenged Bond’s claims that Bella was beaten to death – an au­topsy didn’t in­di­cate any signs of the in­juries Bond had de­scribed. Bella’s body was so badly de­com­posed it wasn’t pos­si­ble to de­ter­mine ex­actly how she’d died.

Mccarthy’s de­fence also used text mes­sages and jour­nal en­tries made by Bond af­ter Bella’s death.

In them, Bond still re­ferred to Mccarthy af­fec­tion­ately, call­ing him her soul­mate.

Not the be­hav­iour of a dis­traught and ter­ri­fied mother, they claimed.

It was also re­ported that, around the time of Bella’s death, Mccarthy was par­tially dis­abled, hav­ing bro­ken his col­lar­bone dur­ing a seizure.

And his de­fence claimed he was good with Bella.

‘When she got scared of mon­sters, he told her to “blow their heads off with love”,’ his lawyer said.

Bella’s bi­o­log­i­cal fa­ther Joseph Amoroso tes­ti­fied at the trial. He claimed Bond met him two days be­fore her ar­rest and told him Bella was in a ‘safe place’.

But, the fol­low­ing day, she’d con­fessed that Bella was dead and said she was fear­ful she’d go away for a long time for know­ing what’d hap­pened and not say­ing any­thing.

So was Rachelle Bond telling the truth?

Had Michael Mccarthy re­ally mur­dered tiny Bella and in­tim­i­dated his girl­friend into help­ing him cover up the death of her own child?

That cru­cial ques­tion was for the jury to con­sider as they headed into their de­lib­er­a­tions…

She claimed Mccarthy punched tiny Bella

Af­ter a 15-day trial, it took the jury more than 23 hours to find Michael Mccarthy, 37, guilty – but of the ‘lesser’ con­vic­tion of sec­ond-de­gree mur­der. He was sen­tenced to life, with the pos­si­bil­ity of pa­role in 20 years.

His lawyer in­di­cated that Mccarthy planned to ap­peal, main­tain­ing Bond was the true killer, say­ing, ‘An in­no­cent man is go­ing to prison for the rest of his life for a crime she com­mit­ted.’

This July, af­ter serv­ing nearly two years in prison since her ar­rest, Rachelle Bond was told she wouldn’t serve any ex­tra time. She was sen­tenced to two years pro­ba­tion and would en­ter a re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion fa­cil­ity for sub­stance abuse upon her re­lease.

BELLA BOND: In­no­cent vic­tim

Mccarthy in court It was said the cou­ple were both drug ad­dicts BOND: Was she ? in­tim­i­dated

Mccarthy: plans to ap­peal Bond: pro­ba­tion and re­hab

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.