Our baby’s a cut above!

Blimey! Our littl’un was born with a big bar­net

Chat - - Front Page - By Natasha Gent, 28, from Gilling­ham, Kent

The sono­g­ra­pher gave a lit­tle chuckle.

‘Well,’ she said, as I lay on the hos­pi­tal bed for my 20-week scan. ‘Your baby’s cer­tainly go­ing to have a lot of hair!’ ‘Re­ally?’ I asked. All I could see on the screen was a del­i­cate lit­tle wisp stick­ing up.

But she’d been adamant, point­ing at the white glow, like a halo, around our un­born baby’s head. I still wasn’t con­vinced. I’d heard that bad heart­burn in preg­nancy meant your baby would have lots of hair, and I hadn’t suf­fered at all…

But then, in the last two weeks be­fore Holly was due, it sud­denly kicked in...

In De­cem­ber last year, I went into labour. And, check­ing how di­lated I was, the first thing any­one re­marked was, ‘She’s got a full head of hair!’

When Holly fi­nally ar­rived, the first thing that struck me was her del­i­cate lit­tle fea­tures.

Then me and my hubby Ash­ley, 28, saw what ev­ery­one had been talk­ing about.

‘Wow! They weren’t wrong,’ I said.

A huge thatch of thick, black hair cov­ered her scalp.

I’d been born with hair, too, but noth­ing like this!

Holly’s hair quickly be­came a talk­ing point, with the mid­wives even telling col­leagues to pop in and have a look.

‘Wow, she looks like a lit­tle doll,’ a cou­ple in the lift re­marked as we left the hos­pi­tal with Holly.

When­ever we took her out, the com­pli­ments kept on com­ing.

I found it over­whelm­ing in the early days when strangers came up to me in su­per­mar­kets, shop­ping cen­tres, restau­rants… But Holly wasn’t the slight­est bit fazed by all the at­ten­tion.

‘How old is she?’ peo­ple al­ways asked, never guess­ing she was new­born. Other mums asked for tips. ‘My baby hasn’t got any hair yet. What do you use on it?’ was a fre­quent ques­tion.

Even I was en­vi­ous of Holly’s tresses, as the hair I didn’t lose dur­ing preg­nancy had started fall­ing out af­ter her birth. Now I wash Holly’s hair ev­ery two or three days. When it’s wet, it comes half­way down her back, and we have to blow-dry it on a cool set­ting so she doesn’t get a chill. Dur­ing the day, we tie up her hair in a top­knot to keep it out of her eyes and mouth. And, if I’m dress­ing her in a dress with but­tons at the back, it gets caught if it’s loose. I’ve plaited the back, too – but, now Holly’s nine months, she won’t sit still long enough for me to do that. So now she’s sport­ing a fan­tas­tic, Elvis-style quiff! Peo­ple do chuckle at that – but she just plays up to the at­ten­tion these days. She’s such a bub­bly, smi­ley baby. We’re plan­ning Holly’s first hair­cut af­ter her first birth­day in De­cem­ber. Ash­ley’s al­ready told me he’ll be keep­ing a lock of her hair in a spe­cial keep­sake box. I’ll just be the proud mum, tak­ing pho­tos of ev­ery snip – so, one day, she can see her leg­endary locks for her­self!

Holly wasn’t the slight­est bit fazed by all the at­ten­tion

We had a heads up! Crowning glory Proud of our pre­cious mop top!

Uh-huh-huh… Rock­ing her Elvis quiff!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.