Six-pack su­per­star!

I to­tally trans­formed my body – and my life

Chat - - Contents - By Bry­ony Went, 25, from Wick­ford

Flick­ing through pho­tos, I scrunched up my face.

‘You look lovely in this one,’ my mum Sally smiled. ‘I do not!’ I groaned.

We were look­ing at pic­tures of my aun­tie Lau­ren’s wed­ding, where I’d been a brides­maid.

All I could see was my flesh spilling out of my tight, pur­ple, strap­less dress.

I’d known I was over­weight. It’d started when I went on the Pill aged 16. Then, in 2013, af­ter weight gain and stom­ach cramps, I was di­ag­nosed with poly­cys­tic ovaries.

‘It can make it hard to lose weight,’ the doc­tor warned. ‘But los­ing weight would help your symp­toms.’ Not ex­actly win-win then! A large size-16, weigh­ing in at 12st 4lb, I thought of those wed­ding pics. It was time to do some­thing be­fore things got worse.

So I started go­ing to the gym four or five times a week, do­ing car­dio ex­er­cise. Only, af­ter I lost a stone, my weight started to plateau. So I read up on how weight train­ing can change your body.

That’s when I met my per­sonal trainer Jor­dan, who showed me how to work out ef­fec­tively. With her help, I tack­led weights in­stead of just car­dio – and I loved it! Within six months, my body had com­pletely changed. I’d got down to 8st – and, most im­por­tantly, I had abs, bi­ceps and a pert bum.

‘Wow, you look great!’ friends said.

Jor­dan com­peted in body-build­ing bikini shows – and, when she told me about them, I was in awe of her. The strict diet and work­out regime, pos­ing on a stage in a tiny bikini… I couldn’t do that, I thought. ‘Yes, you could,’ Jor­dan

My flesh spilled out of the tight, pur­ple dress

en­cour­aged when I told her.

And, be­fore I knew it, I was be­ing whisked into the world of bikini-body shows.

I had 18 weeks to prep for my first one, start­ing with a diet of high calo­ries with lots of car­bo­hy­drates to build mus­cle.

Then, a few weeks be­fore the show, I had a calo­rie-de­ple­tion diet to get my body fat down.

The regime was pretty strict, with egg-white pro­tein drinks in the morn­ing, then four more small meals dur­ing the day.

‘More broc­coli and chicken?’ col­leagues at my PA job would joke – and, I’ll ad­mit, it did get pretty bor­ing af­ter a while. But I could see it pay­ing off. Be­fore long, it was Oc­to­ber – show day! I was so ex­cited, I didn’t know what to ex­pect.

I cer­tainly wasn’t ready for such an early start. The clock was beam­ing 4.30am at me as I jumped out of bed.

I yawned through my sec­ond spray-tan coat­ing – I’d al­ready had my first the night be­fore.

Af­ter a break­fast of steak and sweet potato, I did my hair and make-up, and prac­tised my poses. Be­fore I knew it, I was on the stage in St Al­bans Arena, flex­ing my mus­cles in an or­ange, dia­mante bikini. As the crowd of 500 stared back at me, my nerves were gone.

What a rush!

I didn’t come away with a medal, but I was over the moon.

‘It’s time to take the train­ing up a notch,’ said my new trainer Nathan.

I was de­ter­mined to do bet­ter next time. And, six months on, I was back.

Then, be­fore my third show, I was given a new chal­lenge when a pro­ducer from All 4’s Six Pack Su­per­stars got in touch via my pos­ing coach Au­drey.

The on­line show fol­lowed fit­ness-comp wannabes as they prepped for com­pe­ti­tions.

And they wanted me to take part in it.

So ex­cit­ing!

‘Just act nat­u­rally,’ the cam­era­man said as I walked into my lo­cal gym to be filmed.

Of course, that was eas­ier said than done. Now I know how celebs must feel.

Soon, it was time for my per­for­mance to be filmed.

Again, I didn’t get a medal. But, as Nathan and I al­ways say, it’s not the medals that make you a win­ner – it’s the tak­ing part that does.

I was hes­i­tant about watch­ing my­self on TV, but I ac­tu­ally came across way more con­fi­dent than I thought I was.

Maybe one day I’ll get a medal. But, in bikini­com­pe­ti­tion terms, I’m still just a baby.

Some of the girls I com­pete with are much more are ex­pe­ri­enced and have been do­ing it for years.

Plus, I know how hard I’ve worked to get my­self to where I am now.

I al­ready feel like a win­ner!

I had a new chal­lenge when a TV pro­ducer got in touch

Bikini-body ready – and how!

That dreaded wed­ding photo...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.