THE CUTEST CHRIST­MAS CRASH­ERS!

Wed­ding crash­ers

Chat - - Chat come on in! - By Lisa Ry­der, 37, from Ply­mouth

There it was, the fa­mil­iar dull ache.

‘I’ve got my pe­riod again,’ I sighed to my fi­ance Sean Ry­der, then 29.

‘There’s al­ways next month,’ he smiled, try­ing to re­as­sure me.

It was Au­gust 2011. We’d been to­gether two years, af­ter meet­ing through a dat­ing app on Face­book.

At first, we’d spent our week­ends club­bing, then cud­dling up to sleep off hang­overs af­ter. But, six months ear­lier, we’d de­cided we were ready to have ba­bies.

A hos­pi­tal op­er­at­ing prac­ti­tioner, I was in theatre for Cae­sarean de­liv­er­ies.

‘You see how happy the par­ents are,’ I’d told Sean. ‘I’d re­ally like that.’ ‘That’d be amaz­ing,’ he’d said. So we’d started try­ing. I hadn’t been ex­pect­ing any­thing to hap­pen overnight, but I couldn’t help feel­ing a bit dis­ap­pointed when­ever my pe­riod ar­rived.

We car­ried on hav­ing fun but, sud­denly, a year of try­ing for a baby was creep­ing up on us.

‘I’m tired of this,’ I ad­mit­ted to Sean, a welder. ‘I want to fo­cus on some­thing else – like a wed­ding!’ We’d talked about get­ting mar­ried, so it didn't come as too much of a shock to Sean!

Get­ting en­gaged in De­cem­ber 2011, we started plan­ning for our wed­ding for a cou­ple of years on.

I’d al­ways loved Christ­mas, and knew the ho­tels were usu­ally decked out with fes­tive trees and lights.

‘We wouldn’t have to worry about dec­o­ra­tions and things,’ I pointed out.

Re­search­ing it all, I was in a bub­ble of ex­cite­ment. But there was still a lit­tle back­drop of sad­ness…

‘I re­ally thought we’d have had a baby by now,’ I sighed to Sean, as we com­piled our guest list for the wed­ding.

But I re­fused to get down. I was go­ing to marry the love of my life. Noth­ing could dampen my spir­its.

We booked a lo­cal ho­tel for 21 De­cem­ber 2013. There’d be fairy lights twin­kling, car­ols play­ing… It’d be a Christ­mas to re­mem­ber.

But, a week later, I woke and some­thing didn’t feel right. My boobs felt re­ally sore… Could I be..? I thought. So I bought a test­ing kit. That night, the pair of us sat watch­ing the lit­tle white stick to­gether…

‘Oh, my God!’ I squealed, as two blue lines ap­peared. ‘I’m preg­nant!’

‘Looks like we’ll have to add an­other name to the guest list,’ Sean replied, laugh­ing.

At our 12-week scan, we held hands ex­cit­edly as the sono­g­ra­pher scanned me.

‘There are two nice, strong heart­beats,’ she smiled. ‘What?’ I screeched. ‘Twins?’ The colour had drained from Sean’s face. ‘Con­grat­u­la­tions!’ she smiled. We shouldn’t have been overly sur­prised. My ma­ter­nal

Sud­denly, a year of try­ing was creep­ing up on us…

nan had two sets of twins, and so did two of my cousins. Al­though shocked, we were thrilled. But I was also nervy. ‘We’ve waited a long time for this,’ I told Sean. ‘And I’ve seen it when things don’t go right. I don’t want to tempt fate.’ So I didn’t make a big thing of an­nounc­ing it on Face­book, and told Sean I didn’t want a baby shower. When we found out at the 20-week scan that we were ex­pect­ing non-iden­ti­cal boys, I didn’t rush out and buy cute, match­ing any­thing. ‘Once they’re safe in my arms, we’ll cel­e­brate,’ I smiled. Thank­fully, with a wed­ding to or­gan­ise, it took my mind off wor­ry­ing. The twins were due on 23 July 2013, five months be­fore the big day. Time to get into the swing of things, I thought. But, on 18 June, at 35 weeks, I sud­denly went into labour. At Der­ri­ford Hos­pi­tal, I was mon­i­tored, and the sec­ond twin’s heart rate dropped. I was told they’d need help to get them out. So I was taken to the op­er­at­ing theatre where I nor­mally worked, sur­rounded by my lovely col­leagues. ‘I’m in good hands,’ I smiled. Con­nor ar­rived first, weigh­ing 5lb, fol­lowed by Cal­lum, at 4lb 15oz.

‘Dou­ble trou­ble,’ Sean grinned.

I needed a blood trans­fu­sion, but all three of us thrived. And, af­ter 10 days, we went home.

‘I can’t be­lieve you’re mine,’ I smiled at our boys.

Fi­nally, the day of our wed­ding ar­rived. Ev­ery­one fussed over me, but the real stars of the day were Con­nor and Cal­lum. The guests were all queu­ing up to have a cud­dle with them!

But, typ­i­cally, just as the turkey roasts were be­ing served, the boys de­cided they were hun­gry, too.

‘You eat,’ I told ev­ery­one while I fed them.

We’d hired a child­min­der, though, so be­fore the re­cep­tion kicked off, we were able to put the boys to bed.

Then Sean and I had our first dance to a slow ver­sion of Ri­hanna’s We Found Love.

We never had a hon­ey­moon – in fact, I’m still wait­ing! But I re­ally don’t mind.

The boys are 4 now, and have started school. And they’re so ex­cited about Christ­mas this year.

But I’ve got every­thing I want – two pre­cious lit­tle boys who came along when I least ex­pected it!

I’ve got every­thing I want – two pre­cious lit­tle boys

The per­fect wed­ding gift

All smiles on the big day

Snug­gled up like peas in a pod!

Wait­ing for santa… Con­nor, left, and Cal­lum will surely be on the ‘nice’ list!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.