Call­ing mo­tor mouths

Hun­gry? Pop to ours for a tasty drivein din­ner!

Chat - - Content - By Vic­to­ria Bur­den, 35, from Bos­ton, Lincs

My feet throbbed, my back ached and my throat was parched.

‘Any­one for a brew?’ my mum Les­lie, then 57, asked.

‘Yes, please!’ me and my hubby Neil, 29, groaned.

Run­ning New York-style restau­rant Witham and Blues to­gether was a fun but ex­haust­ing busi­ness.

It was Au­gust 2015 and we’d just closed for the night.

Mum and my dad Bob, 59, had popped in to have a catch-up.

They’d re­cently been on a driv­ing hol­i­day in Europe, and Neil and I weren’t long back from a trip to Amer­ica.

‘We saw some amaz­ing din­ers,’ I told them.

Fun­nily enough, Neil and I had been talk­ing about open­ing a sec­ond eatery, in a big venue space at­tached to Witham and Blues.

We’d in­tended to make it into a Mex­i­can restau­rant, but nei­ther of us were in love with the idea.

Then Mum and Dad told me about a car-themed ho­tel where they’d stayed in Ger­many, showed us some pho­tos.

‘That’s it!’ I ex­claimed. ‘We should make the sec­ond place a clas­sic car-themed Amer­i­can diner! With bits of real cars in­side the restau­rant!’ ‘Great idea!’ Neil said. Like me, he loved Amer­i­can food – and the cars, too.

But that was noth­ing com­pared to Dad. He was such an auto-freak he’d ac­tu­ally built his own cars, in­clud­ing a green Mus­tang.

Ex­cited, we drafted ideas late into the night, talk­ing about the menu and the cars to fea­ture.

Even­tu­ally, we had to call it a night, but none of us had far to go... Neil and I lived above the restau­rant, and Mum and Dad lived next door.

‘I’m so ex­cited al­ready,’ I said as we got into bed.

‘This could be some­thing re­ally dif­fer­ent,’ Neil replied.

Not long af­ter that, we put our plans in mo­tion.

Neil was in charge of de­sign­ing the menu.

‘We’ll do hand­made burg­ers and desserts to die for,’ he said. Dad would trans­form all the car parts.

‘I’m go­ing to use Airstream car­a­van parts to make a dessert bar,’ he an­nounced. And, as Dad’s plan came to­gether, I was thrilled.

Now weõre mo­tor­ing!

I’d been work­ing on our brand­ing... Neil came up with the name V-ATE, a play on words for a V8 en­gine. And I made a Face­book page to gen­er­ate a buzz about us open­ing.

When the day fi­nally came, I felt so proud.

The restau­rant has the bot­tom half of old Vespa scoot­ers as seats, pieces of Mus­tangs, Mi­nis, and Subarus form­ing parts of ta­bles.

As the cen­tre piece, a bright red Chevy Apache truck has been turned into a bar!

The open­ing day last Au­gust bank-hol­i­day week­end was crazy. Peo­ple loved the idea!

Mum and Dad both help out, Mum front-of-house, Dad do­ing odd jobs around the place.

And, while Neil over­sees the kitchen, I keep an eye on ev­ery­thing else as Man­ager.

Now seven months on, we’re do­ing a r-r-r-roar­ing trade!

We’ve served over 13,000 peo­ple and the road ahead seems very promis­ing.

We can’t wait to kick ev­ery­thing up a gear!

We love Amer­i­can food – and the cars, too!

Any­one for meals on wheels?!

Clas­sic car chow!

The per­fect place for a pit stop Me and Neil are pretty driven

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.