Three rea­sons to smile

Our 200 mil­lionto-one girls ar­rived when we needed them most

Chat - - Contents - By Sian Wil­liams, 32, from Cwm­bran

Putting the first test aside, I did another – watched, waited...

But there it was again! Pos­i­tive.

‘Aaron!’ I cried. ‘We’re hav­ing a baby!’ My boyfriend’s face lit up. ‘That’s fan­tas­tic,’ he grinned. It was Novem­ber 2016, we’d been to­gether four years and were buy­ing our first house.

We’d bought a new-build next door to my mum Julie, 57. ‘I can’t wait to tell her,’ I said. Our baby news was a ray of happiness in what’d been a hor­ri­ble year.

My dad Kevin had a heart trans­plant at the be­gin­ning of 2016. It’d gone well and tests showed no signs of re­jec­tion.

Dad was back home with Mum and we’d even booked a fam­ily hol­i­day to celebrate.

But, sud­denly, Dad got a lung in­fec­tion, then the flu.

That May, he’d passed away, aged 56. We were distraught. Es­pe­cially Mum – they’d been mar­ried for 38 years.

But now our baby news gave us all some­thing to look for­ward to.

That De­cem­ber, I had cramp­ing and a small bleed.

Just in case, my doc­tor sent me for an early scan at the Royal Gwent Hospi­tal.

I was ner­vous as the sono­g­ra­pher scanned my tummy, frown­ing.

‘Do you have twins in your fam­ily?’ she asked.

Aaron nod­ded – his broth­ers are twins.

‘Well, I can see two heart­beats,’ the sono­g­ra­pher smiled. I stared at Aaron, speech­less. Then peer­ing at the screen, the sono­g­ra­pher frowned again. ‘Is ev­ery­thing OK?’ I fret­ted. ‘Do you see that, in the far right?’ she said, point­ing to a fuzzy, black image. I could – just! ‘There aren’t two heart­beats – there are three!’ she said. Triplets?!

If we thought we were lost for words be­fore...

Aaron and I stared at each other, dumb­founded.

‘They’re iden­ti­cal, too,’ the sono­g­ra­pher told us.

She ex­plained the odds of con­ceiv­ing iden­ti­cal triplets with­out fer­til­ity drugs was one in 200 mil­lion.

Aaron and I both left the hospi­tal in stunned si­lence.

We’d joked about hav­ing twins. But triplets?! How would we cope? ‘I need to see Mum,’ I said. We drove there, still say­ing noth­ing. And when I saw Mum, I burst into tears.

I felt over­whelmed, shocked – and ter­ri­fied.

But, when I broke the news, Mum was thrilled.

‘Don’t cry,’ she soothed. ‘This is amaz­ing!’

As she put her arms around me, promised to help, I felt bet­ter.

‘It’s a good job we’ll be liv­ing next door,’ I said.

I had a feel­ing we’d need a hand!

Af­ter that, it still felt sur­real but we started to get ex­cited.

As I had a mul­ti­ple preg­nancy, I’d be closely mon­i­tored.

‘You’re hav­ing three ba­bies,’ Mum would re­mind me, ex­cit­edly, ev­ery day.

Yet, as we were pre­par­ing for our new ar­rivals, more tragedy struck...

Mum’s dad – my gran­dad

John – had a fall be­fore Christ­mas. Scans showed he had an ag­gres­sive brain tu­mour and, in Jan­u­ary 2017, he passed away in hospi­tal.

We all ral­lied round Mum and my grandma Rose­mary, but the loss took its toll on Grandma. She came down with a chest in­fec­tion, couldn’t fight it off.

Two weeks af­ter los­ing Gran­dad, she died, too. Heart­break­ing.

We’d lost so much in just eight months.

But focusing on the triplets helped us through our grief.

One tiny egg had given us three in­cred­i­ble mir­a­cles. We couldn’t wait to meet them.

I had weekly scans and, at 15 weeks, we found out we were ex­pect­ing iden­ti­cal girls.

My bump swamped my size-6 frame and my morn­ing sick­ness was ter­ri­ble. ‘It’s 24/7 sick­ness,’ I groaned. But fam­ily and friends

We’d lost so much – focusing on this helped us through

flooded us with gifts and we soon had three of ev­ery­thing.

And three cots, side by side in the white-painted nurs­ery.

As a triplet preg­nancy is high risk, I was booked for a Cae­sarean at 32 weeks, on 19 May last year.

Al­most on the first an­niver­sary of Dad’s death.

By then, I could barely breathe or sleep, my bump was so huge.

Mum sat with Aaron’s fam­ily in the wait­ing room, while he was by my side as I was wheeled to theatre.

First Jorgie ar­rived, weigh­ing 2lb 14oz, then Belle at 3lb 2oz, and fi­nally Olivia, 3lb 2oz.

And all within a minute of each other – 10.36, 10.37 and 10.38am.

Be­cause they were so tiny, I only got a glimpse be­fore they were whisked to Spe­cial Care.

Vis­it­ing them that evening was emo­tional. They were tiny, in incubators, cov­ered in wires.

‘But they’re do­ing well,’ the doc­tor as­sured us.

Three days later, Aaron and I held our girls for the first time. ‘We love you so much,’ I cooed. They were breath­ing by them­selves, but we had to wait for them to get big­ger.

By the end of June, all our girls were home. It was pure bliss just watch­ing them.

Although it was a con­stant cy­cle of bot­tles, nap­pies and wash­ing, we loved ev­ery minute.

Plus Mum was al­ways round, fuss­ing over them all – as well as my brother Michael, 27, who lives with Mum.

Be­cause the girls, now 1, are iden­ti­cal, we have colour-coded nail var­nish on their big toes.

Jorgie has pur­ple, Belle has pink and Olivia has yel­low.

And they get so much at­ten­tion when we’re out.

Af­ter a tough year for our fam­ily, they’ve brought happiness back into our lives. Our 200 mil­lion-to-one girls. Triple the trou­ble – but def­i­nitely triple the fun!

My bump got big­ger and big­geré Scan sur­prise!

The frill of it all! Three lit­tle ladies Three times a baby! Meet the girls: the beau­ti­ful Jorgie, Belle and Olivia!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.